The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
im_hummer_freak
AshTheDash
anjan
thackervijay
archit
raj_5004
siddhant
Crazy cat
devilzsri
zinam
Vibhor
15 posters

Mahindra Xylo tested!

Vibhor
    Vibhor

Mahindra Xylo tested! Empty Mahindra Xylo tested!

Post  Vibhor 14th January 2009, 5:44 pm

Hello Friends!
    Check out the Test Drive report of MAHINDRA XYLO from ACI..... :bball:
    http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=2307

Mahindra Xylo tested! Xylo16
    Mahindra Xylo tested! Xylo18
    Mahindra Xylo tested! Xylo15
    zinam
    zinam

Mahindra Xylo tested! Empty Re: Mahindra Xylo tested!

Post  zinam 14th January 2009, 6:22 pm

Thanks for the link Vibhor !

Xylo is rightly priced & i am sure it will sell like hot cakes as it is priced between 6.24 & 7.69.

But M&M could have concentrated on the looks also :)
    devilzsri

Post  devilzsri 17th January 2009, 7:31 pm

Xylo has been priced well indeed!! but the exterior styling has not been that great , but anyways the rear styling is soemhwat ok!! shud do well in the market
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 17th January 2009, 7:35 pm

yup!Its priced very nicely!but as you said exteriors!..actually exteriors are also nice but i feel that its bonnet is quite short which makes this car looks unproportional.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 17th January 2009, 8:22 pm

Its not only the bonnet buddy!!

The overall propotition is wrong, I hope Mahindra has not come up with an vision before the design of xylo.

I can say this car is really a mess up!! sorry if my views are hurting somwone :(
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 19th January 2009, 11:42 am

Thanks for the link vibhor :)
    The car looks better than these photos suggests. I like it looks but the interiors is ugly, don't how it looks it flesh.
    siddhant
    siddhant

Post  siddhant 19th January 2009, 8:02 pm

the looks are just too fussy for me. i like the interior though it is not at par with the innova. i heard it has lots of space. and what blows me off is the fact that it has a good ride with decent handling. its a MAHINDRA with all dis!so kudos to them!

Last edited by raj_5004 on 20th January 2009, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lots of '...s')
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 20th January 2009, 10:21 am

dont know why, i liked the xylo. its an MUV. an MUV is supposed to be a family mover, spacious and comfortable, which i think, the xylo is. i dont mind even if its ugly. looks can grow on you.

dont forget that swift dzire, estilo and logan sells like hot cakes!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 20th January 2009, 11:47 pm

I agree with you raj. But the looks are ain't that bad.

Tomorrow most probably I'll be TDing the Xylo. Will update after I drive it
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 21st January 2009, 8:12 pm

Today I took TD of the Mahindra Xylo. It is a surprise product from Mahindra. its front looks are spoiled by the Headlamps, which raise above on the sides. Other than that, it has decent looks. The USP of this vehicle is its Space and Comfort. It has more than enough legroom for 6 footers in all 3 rows(Even if they sit on the same sides). The seats are comfortable too. Quality sees a big improvement. But the engine lacks refinement. When revved hard, it groans a lot. Its turning radius is short and the steering wheel is compact to hold. Its ride is good too. It comes with a 2DIN Mp3 player with USB, Aux-in and delivers decent sound quality for an OEM Music system. DDAS provides you the direction you travel, Full to Empty, Instant Fuel consumption, outside and inside temp., humidity, average speed, gear shift indicatore, etc..

All models come with AC, PS, PW and Central locking. its price starts from 7lac OTR, Coimbatore for the E2 and goes upto 8.6lacs for the E8. It is a VFM product.

According to me, the main sufferers of this product are Bolero and Scorpio. For its price, it can easily make a dent in Innova's sales.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 21st January 2009, 8:31 pm

nice review CC
    so after all this is a quality product!!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 21st January 2009, 9:18 pm

Yeah its quality is better than Scorpio, Grande, Safari. The doors were light and can easily closed, unlike others(Not Innova) which you need to apply some force. Entry to the rear is easy. But the car is a bit high and needs some effort(One need to use foot step for sure). It handled well in the city and it was nimble too. No bouncing actions while revving hard or braking hard. Its overall quality is close to Innova.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 22nd January 2009, 9:13 pm

nice review CC. but i feel that it wont harm scorpio's sales. because an SUV buyer like me will NEVER buy a xylo. today if i have to buy a car from the mahindra stable, it will be the scorpio and not the xylo. i totally adore the xylo's interiors but for me, an MUV can match the scorpio's butch looks and street presence. i am sure there will be many who think like me. also, the xylo is cheaper than the scorpio, so they are in different segments.

other reason can be that the xylo is not offered with the mHAWK engine, the mHawk is a hoot to drive. many may buy the scorpio just for that engine.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 22nd January 2009, 11:16 pm

How many SUV lovers are out there? I think only few who love exclusivity prefer SUVs. But most of the Indians want to get bang for their buck. The Xylo is comfortable and spacious and it is for for those who needs a comfortable family car and not to those macho persons who like SUVs. But I feel that Scorpio is overpriced and that's why I said Scorpio is a sufferer. And also mechanically Xylo is way better than Scorpio except the powerful engine of Scorpio.
    And yeah people buy Scorpio only for its powerful engine offered from time to time. But sadly it is not capable enough to handle it. And the space is very less. It is only for those who enjoy driving and also only if the last row will not be used for mostly.

And I failed to mention earlier that Xylo's boot space is less.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 23rd January 2009, 9:36 am

Crazy cat wrote:How many SUV lovers are out there? I think only few who love exclusivity prefer SUVs.

i would say quite a lot, else why would you see so many scorpios and safaris on the road when in the same price you get an innova. i feel many indians are style conscious too and many wont prefer an MUV.

Crazy cat wrote: i feel that Scorpio is overpriced and that's why I said Scorpio is a sufferer. And also mechanically Xylo is way better than Scorpio except the powerful engine of Scorpio.
    And yeah people buy Scorpio only for its powerful engine offered from time to time. But sadly it is not capable enough to handle it. And the space is very less. It is only for those who enjoy driving and also only if the last row will not be used for mostly.

i feel that the xylo wont harm the scorpio's sales much because both cater to different customer needs/preferences. at this price, i feel the scorpio is not overpriced considering what a gem of an engine the mHawk is. it is better than even the laura diesel! excluding the verna, no diesel engine has impressed me the way mHawk did, below 15 lakhs.

and also i feel the mHawk can handle high speeds easily provided you do not forget its an SUV! yes, handling issues existed in the older SZ turbo and to some extent in the CRDe, but the mHawk is good at high speeds.

anyways, moving on to the topic, the xylo may affect the bolero's sales because they are very closely priced. but if i have 11 lakhs and i go to the mahindra showroom, i would obviously buy a scorpio. a scorpio's TD changes the whole perception people have about it.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 23rd January 2009, 9:50 am

Well maybe, we have to wait and watch.
    Scorpio is a very big task to handle even at low speeds, where as Xylo handles pretty good at those speeds. It is nimble in traffic and U-turns are like cars. You don't feel that you are a driving big vehicle. And also as I said earlier Scorpio's space is very bad. It is good to carry only 5 people. The ride is the best in Xylo. Well I've not driven the M-Hawk. I've driven the 2.6CRDe for more than 3k with both city and highway runs.

But Bolero is the sure sufferer. Its CRDe variant is priced on par with Xylo's base variant. And also the Tavera, Grande which are similarly priced.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 23rd January 2009, 9:54 am

well guys, even i dont agree that its going to affect scorpio's sales, as its a MUV charted along with tavera and innova, scorpio is a different segment and if i am looking to buy a scorpio or safari, i wont think to look as xylo for sure, but also to mention its a good product from mahindra to get a lead im utility vehicles, how much does it afffect innova is a question to see but it will sure lure customers with space and price on offer.CHEERS!!!
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 24th January 2009, 10:08 am

Yes TV, Its absolutely right.

A person going to buy an Innova or Safari, will never give an second thought to Xylo.

Xylo is an choice for Sedan lovers who want MUV's in their price Tag.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 26th January 2009, 7:34 pm

Mahindra has launched Xylo basically for those who opt sedans, as zinam said, Its available at a normal sedan's price and is loaded with features, When i went to Xylo's launch, they compared the Xylo with other sedans like dZire, city, verna etc and also with MUVs like innova, Tavera and from then only i was very much impressed with the Xylo.
    Also when i sat in it i felt very comfortable, and no doubt, theres acres of space inside. :)

EDIT : If anyone has test driven it then please share a short review of it here.Thanks!
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 26th January 2009, 10:42 pm

Surprising to read in the AC I Feb 2009 issue that the Xylo does'nt have anti roll bars. Its braking is also suspect as the road test proclaims.
    Lets hope these niggling problems are settled by M&M soon to make the Xylo a winner. Otherwise its feature loaded interiors are quite well taken but for the poor plastics.
    A tailpeice- It comes with images of 40 Gods and can be set with the one the user chooses. What about atheists and agnostic persons?
    AshTheDash
    AshTheDash

Post  AshTheDash 26th January 2009, 11:33 pm

I just took a TD of the Xylo E8 today.

when I climbed in this new MPV I just felt like a king. The seating is tall and you can see as far as you need from the captain's seat. The sales guy was very friendly and explained to me all the features in the car.

I took it through heavy traffic and then got on to the highway for a speedy drive.
    The car handles well, the steering is very receptive and I could easily control the car. The suspension is amazing, the car did not rock like a boat even when I took it over the breaker at more than 50 kmph. the braking was excellent and no one in the car (my wife was sitting in the middle row) felt the jerk of the braking.

Lots of features, but he build quality is bad... real bad. lot of use of black rubber and plastic. i felt as if I was in a modernised tractor.

The music system is good and the mutli display screen shows a lot of things like the trip meter, temp inside and outside the car. it also shows what gear am i driving in. but the Sales guy coud not show that to me.

The mid and back rows have their own ventilation & own small reading lights too.
    The middle seat and back seat fold well to provide enough space for hoards of lugagge.

Although the brochure shows a very classy interior the real thing is no where close to the brochure. The dash board etc is so different in the brochure.

Overall excellent machine, fantastic pick up in the 2nd as well as 3rd gear..
    Poor interiors, lack lustre finishing and poor job in the quality of finishing the door knobs and the dash board.
    Its good for the price, but Innova has raised the bar so high that the XYLO can pass under it even witout hoping to graze the lowest variant closely.

I decided... I wont buy the XYLO. Will work out my finances and see if I can buy the current version of innova or wait for a few months (save more money ) and buy the new Innova .

Ash

MODS: PLEASE CHECK FOR SPELLING MISTAKES AND AVOID EXCESSIVE USE OF '...S'
    -RAJ-
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 27th January 2009, 12:07 pm

ATD, nice review mate, yes this was expected that it would be spacious and would be luring customers who want a big family car with specified budget range, but what u said for its interiors and plastics is not good for xylo. Regarding its competition as others felt with innova, i already told earlier its never going to bother toyota, but as vibs said its competition with mid size sedans, lets see how this one performs in market.CHEERS!!!
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Post  im_hummer_freak 27th January 2009, 2:15 pm

should i post i xylo pic here or the xylo has become common now?? i saw only one till now.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 27th January 2009, 2:34 pm

i havent seen any of them running on roads yet, though heard of few deliveries.
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Post  im_hummer_freak 27th January 2009, 2:57 pm

yes there is one in the house next to my building since the past 4-5 days

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21st September 2024, 2:13 pm