The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
raj_5004
Vibhor
dominic2807
zinam
archit
napster
autodude sparsh
Crazy cat
Road Rocket
car-o-static
14 posters

Spark v/s santro v/s alto

Poll

Spark v/s Santro v/s Alto

[ 9 ]
    Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_lcap253%Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_rcap [53%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_lcap247%Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_rcap [47%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_lcap20%Spark v/s santro v/s alto Vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 17
    car-o-static
    car-o-static

Smile Spark v/s santro v/s alto

Post  car-o-static 17th May 2009, 2:07 pm

Indians just love small cars. Infact this fetish for small cars was started by the Maruti 800, which today is more of a national monument than a car. However cars has evolved and become more powerful and refined ever since those old days of 1975 when owning a car was more of a status element then transportation convenience. Humans evolved from monkeys... and a growing demand resulted in these fine cars, however there is a thin line between the 3 and most of us are caught in tussle when we shortlist these cars...so I ask you all to decide.

Chevrolet Spark:The smiling car that puts a smile on your face. It’s a small car with a MPV feel, now some consider it more of a Matiz rebadged, but where, Matiz set a level for handling and comfort in this segment, the Spark offers a whole new ball game. Car handles remarkably well on the highway and city, body roll is well controlled. Sparky as I like to call it, has a free revving engine, which is an implied invitation to visit the redline on the tacho more often, also a 16.9kmpl, its light on the pocket too. Interiors are remarkably spacious, unlike most small cars, it can seat 4 people with lot of comfort, however 5 might be a little bit of a clutter. The LT version’s music system is like a pre-40s jukebox, with the music coming more form the ankles, and sounds distorted in traffic, not much entertainment to be precise, the stylishly funky interiors is a good statement which lends some character to the car, however, the proximity of the pedals might be a bit annoying if you are wearing size 10 Weinbremers. The gearshift is a bit problematic with the long throw, everytime you put the gear in 1st or 3rd, your knuckles are likely to hit the central console, and if you are a strong bloke with rigid knuckles you might do some damage to the console. But all in all the car is full of life, cute too, also I reckon everyone in the family will just adore good old Sparky.

Hyundai Santro:The small car with a tall boy feel. Its an ideal hatckback for the city, not just of its small size which makes it fairly maneuverable in the city but also its user friendliness. Design is fairly modern and it’s a good work of engineering to add that touch of character some Indian car boasts off. Its 1.1 Lts engine capable of producing 63 bhp is refined but not something you really wanna put to the limit, its more suited for stop and go city traffic and its highly likely to choke on the highway. However, it has a tight turning circle which implies that it has good handling. The interiors are high quality and easy to use, also getting in and out is hassle free unlike all small cars, the cabin will easily sit 4 but sitting 5 might be a bit of the pain in the arse for the 3 people at the back. It’s a practical user friendly car however it doesn’t feel very solid, its hugely functional and user friendly but not something you would wanna drag race in, and you wouldn’t ever dare to try and drift the car. All in all it’s a family car, a car meant for the daily commute.

Maruti Suzuki Alto:The bigger brother to the 800, it however does beat the little sibling when it comes to sales. It has the same heart as the 800 (a little more refined however)but it offers more then the basics associated with its little cousin. It’s a solid built car, suited for rough Indian terrain, that coupled with decent handling and high fuel economy is ideal for the city roads. On the highway however, it just might scurry for cover. Interiors are cheap, cramped at the back and rather narrow too. Its typically maruti type interiors to be precise. However on any given day it’s a better choice than the 800 because it offers more. All in all it’s a city car, a car suited for the cash strapped newly weds.

Spark v/s santro v/s alto 20070110
    Chevrolet Spark... "Full of life"

Spark v/s santro v/s alto Santro10
    Hyundai Santro..."First car, First choice"

Spark v/s santro v/s alto Alto3310
    Maruti Suzuki Alto... "Let's Go"
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Smile Re: Spark v/s santro v/s alto

Post  Road Rocket 17th May 2009, 2:14 pm

Where is the Esitlo etc?
    If the choice is strictly between these three then my vote is for Spark.

RoadRocket
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 17th May 2009, 3:26 pm

I voted for Spark, it is the better of the lot.
    autodude sparsh
    autodude sparsh

Post  autodude sparsh 17th May 2009, 3:30 pm

I voted for the Santro.
    Don't know why.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 17th May 2009, 5:47 pm

santro,i dont like spark's rear and the tacho position and forget about alto, it hardly has any engine power
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 17th May 2009, 5:55 pm

Spark for me simply because of a good engine and cute looks!
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 17th May 2009, 8:27 pm

Its Santro for me ... Its more matured & more capable than the rest :)
    dominic2807
    dominic2807

Post  dominic2807 17th May 2009, 10:26 pm

spark it is for me :)
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 17th May 2009, 10:42 pm

I voted for Chevy Spark because its the latest from other two and is good lookwise also.

VT
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 18th May 2009, 9:06 am

i vote for the santro. i feel its the best car, though compact, its well suited for a tall driver like me too, has a good engine- refined, drivable & a very smooth & slick gearbox. the only minus point is that it is a bit bumpy on bad roads, on the rear seat.

spark & alto is not as spacious as the santro, so not for a 6 footer like me, especially the spark. the dasboard & gear lever of the spark fouls with my leg. i have never like the alto's styling too.
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Post  im_hummer_freak 18th May 2009, 11:53 am

my vote for santro. i dislike spark since the time it was matiz. alto is just a facelifted 800 it doesnt need to be in this comparison.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 18th May 2009, 3:07 pm

santro for me too. best of the lot, engine.looks.refined space everything is best in this.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 18th May 2009, 7:20 pm

Santro has got a one vote more than the spark(what to say about alto with none votes:lol!)
    I wouldn't prefer santro Xing because of its outdated styling but yes, In its old days it was the pick of the lot but now times have changed, i10 has been launched and personally speaking, santro looks very old in front of stylish i10.

VT
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 18th May 2009, 8:09 pm

Spark is surely a funky car and suits the new genration best but person of any age group will look good in santro but ya its now becoming outdated now.

RoadRocket
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 19th May 2009, 11:56 am

Vibhor wrote:Santro has got a one vote more than the spark(what to say about alto with none votes:lol!)
    I wouldn't prefer santro Xing because of its outdated styling but yes, In its old days it was the pick of the lot but now times have changed, i10 has been launched and personally speaking, santro looks very old in front of stylish i10.

VT

yes agree on this vibs but its not about santro or i10 even i would go for i10 instead of santro but between choices here definately santro.
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 19th May 2009, 4:56 pm

I voted for Spark bocause its real value for money and that is what matters in the small car segment. Guys, check out the May issue of Overdrive and u'll find an interesting comparo of Nano V/s Santro V/s 800 V/s Alto V/s Spark.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 19th May 2009, 5:03 pm

Hi abhi! Welcome back.
    Sure will check the mag. How did the Santro, alto and spark do in the test? I mean, what rank they possessed with OD's test?
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 19th May 2009, 6:55 pm

But santro, spark etc aren't real competitors to tiny nano.

VT
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 20th May 2009, 11:47 am

Yup, How can they compare spark and santro with nano??????:roll:

RoadRocket
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 20th May 2009, 2:28 pm

i dont think we should be comparing a 1000cc+ range cars with 1000cc- range cars
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 20th May 2009, 6:20 pm

With that comparison, they were trying to bring out alternatives to Nano LX. Interesting result is, Chevy Spark (Base Model) at 2.6 (3.2 Lakh less 60k Discount) lakh turns out to be a good alternative to Nano LX which costs 1.98 lakh. By just paying extra Rs. 60k, you get a proper car without any waiting period, lottery and compromises. Even Alto is not as good value for money as Spark. This comparo which also considered the maximum discount offered by dealers is a real eye opener.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 21st May 2009, 9:51 am

but 60K isnt a small amount to get people transfer from buying even top end nano, those extra amount would be used for fuel for couple of years man, so practically there cannot be comparision between nano and spark or alto.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 22nd May 2009, 1:43 pm

60k doesn't turn out to be much of a burden when you finance it. EMIs may be a little more. Plus once you finance for the Nano and you donot get it, you have to finance again with no refund during the second round. This is literally stealing a poor man's hard earned money.
    As for the poll, I voted for the Spark because it is more spacious than the Santro, has a very responsive engine( it can take off from 20 in 4th gear ), body control is good, steering is well-weighted, rides well for a small car, immensly easy to drive. If only the gearshift and the brakes could have been better. I think that the gearshift of the Spark has been improved, i.e. it has shorter throw, because the more I tried in 1st and 3rd gear, my knuckles would just not hit the central console. :D
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 22nd May 2009, 1:48 pm

dcargod wrote:As for the poll, I voted for the Spark because it is more spacious than the Santro, has a very responsive engine( it can take off from 20 in 4th gear ), body control is good, steering is well-weighted, rides well for a small car, immensly easy to drive.

agree with your other points, but the spark is not as spacious as the santro. i am 6'1" tall & i can easily drive a santro. but in the spark, my legs foul with the steering & gear lever. to put the spark in 5th gear, i have to shift my legs!
    also, the spark is not as responsive as the santro, according to me.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 22nd May 2009, 1:51 pm

i agree, the engine response it better in santro,

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 29th September 2024, 6:49 am