The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
raj_5004
Road Rocket
car-o-static
Crazy cat
autodude sparsh
archit
Vibhor
11 posters

Mahindra launches Xylo with ABS!

dcargod
    dcargod

Smile Re: Mahindra launches Xylo with ABS!

Post  dcargod 16th June 2009, 7:48 pm

People don't understand that ABS is a necessity in any vehicle. In most of the foreign countries, ABS and Airbags are standard and compulsory. Even the government in our country has not taken any step to arouse awareness and make these safety features unnecessary. People should be forced to buy cars with safety kit by making them standard in all cars, not only in the top-end version.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 16th June 2009, 8:54 pm

dcargod wrote:People don't understand that ABS is a necessity in any vehicle. In most of the foreign countries, ABS and Airbags are standard and compulsory. Even the government in our country has not taken any step to arouse awareness and make these safety features unnecessary. People should be forced to buy cars with safety kit by making them standard in all cars, not only in the top-end version.

that actually cant be done in a full stream in india because there are many economy seeking people and who cant afford such features, abs costs a hike of around 20k or so, those people are exceptions in a way..others who can afford them , should realise the importance of ABS in places like india where there there is no road manners at all..if they dont, we cant help it, its all on them
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 16th June 2009, 8:58 pm

@ dcargod: the difference here in india & foreign countries is budget & lack of awareness my friend.

well, you can make the people aware about safety but what can you do about budget? lets face it, most of the indians are very cost conscious & wont spend anything more than what is required. manufacturers make cars to sell & they have to price their car competitevely. if a santro is offered with ABS as standard & priced Rs. 20,000 more than the wagon R which does not come with ABS, people may opt for the wagon R. thus, hyundai will lose its business. this is the reason manufacturers play a safe game by providing these features as optional.

tell me, the Swift VXi comes with ABS as optional. how many swift VXi's have you seen with ABS on the roads? the ZXi comes with airbags too. but it hardly sells. so whats the point in making it standard when the customers are not willing to pay for their own safety? why should the manufacturer lose his business for our safety? when the customer himself is not bothered about his safety, why should the manufacturer bother?
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 16th June 2009, 9:01 pm

its better for the manufacturer to keep ABS as an option.. so that people who know the price of their life will go for it and who doesnt and who dont care about their life will go for the regular ones
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 16th June 2009, 11:53 pm

ABS is a must in every car. It helps to avoid accident and will be used anytime and almost all the time.

@raj, The availability of Swift VXi/VDi with ABS is less. When i bought the Swift, i intended to go for ABS option, but not even one car was available and they said that i had to wait for next set of cars, but they cannot assure of its arrival. So i went for non- ABS model. But still i agree that people aren't aware about ABS' benefit. And also even if VXi/VDi ABS option is readily available, majority of people won't go for it to save Rs. 20,000.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 17th June 2009, 8:58 am

Hey Raj I agree with you mate that the majority of Indians are cost conscious and will spend the bare minimum required. Even if we think of introducing safety features as an option, awareness is low. If you go to a Maruti showroom to book a Swift VXi, the majority of salesmen will not even tell you about the availability of the same version with ABS. Many don't even know what safety features their cars come with. Hence, there is lack in every department and to ensure safety, there is no other option than taking extreme steps. Because the number of accidents on the road can be termed as individual losses of the ones involved, but we tend to neglect the fact that this entire episode does not give a good reputation to the country as a whole.
    Accidents occur due to many reasons and the presence of ABS is just a measure to curb them.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 17th June 2009, 10:41 am

absolutely DC, but our market lacks of knowledge of these features and also costs which people wont spend to get that, if safety is taken seriously it should be made cumpolsary in every car, else dont see it selling in our market with options.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 17th June 2009, 10:54 am

Here people aren't mature enough, IMO, For them style comes first and then safety.

RoadRocket
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 17th June 2009, 11:01 am

yeah RR, we still lack that market maturity for quality and safety features which should be first priority, but we might see change in future as what i see is compared to 5 years back and now yes there is some change in buying prospective.Lets hope so.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 17th June 2009, 11:06 am

thackervijay wrote:yeah RR, we still lack that market maturity for quality and safety features which should be first priority, but we might see change in future as what i see is compared to 5 years back and now yes there is some change in buying prospective.Lets hope so.
    Also one of the reason is price.Safety equipments increase the cost of the car.
    Suppose, If in a car you get an ABS and Sunroof as an option by spending 10k.
    Most of the public would surely prefer a sunroof, Why? Because you look cooler in it!

RoadRocket
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 17th June 2009, 11:10 am

yeah RR thats cause of lack of awareness of people, what if manufacturing companies start advertising the needs ofABS and use and reason fo having ABS, people would surely opt for it instead of sunroof.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 17th June 2009, 5:59 pm

If the manufacturers start advertising ABS, people think it is to augment to their own business. I think auto journos should take up the cause and the best way to convince people is to show demo videos of cars in trouble with and without ABS, to strike a point and make them feel the difference and necessity.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 17th June 2009, 8:40 pm

that is a good idea, but there are some people who doesnt accept the truth that ABS is a must feature in a 4wheeler , even stop their friends or family or who ever who want to go for ABS by saying that all these are just to make the customers pay more for n oreason.. 💢
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 18th June 2009, 12:30 pm

In all the discussions of only ABS, We have forgot about the Xylo in between.

RoadRocket
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 18th June 2009, 8:07 pm

I think the availability of ABS is a more important topic to discuss than the Xylo, about which nothing more is to be said.

MODS, please close the thread and lets open an ABS thread in the General Automotive Talks section, borrowing the important posts from here.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 18th June 2009, 9:14 pm

thats a good idea dcargod, i already posted a topic on how abs wroks, how about further talks in that topic? mods , please take which ever step needed

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21st September 2024, 5:54 pm