The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
autodude sparsh
napster
Vibhor
Crazy cat
jj
9 posters

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc

jj

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Empty New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc

Post  jj 9th May 2009, 7:23 am

How is this car -New Ambassador Grand Petrol ISUZU 1800 CC from HM ?? performance?? and mileage??
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Empty Re: New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc

Post  Crazy cat 9th May 2009, 8:15 am

Hi jj! Welcome to TAI forums :Welcome: .

Regarding your query, Ambassador was a good car of the past. But now it has started to lose its glory. Many quality problems, poor engineering, Ground clearance problems are being reported. It is not as efficient as modern cars. We had 2000cc Isuzu diesel, but i have less idea about petrol. Petrol Ambys were mostly bought by government, you could see only few cars bought by private and its sales is very low. I've heard that Isuzu petrol had great power. Mileage was around 10-12kpl. The resale value is poor, especially for the petrol variant. It is better to go for some other cars in the market.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Empty Re: New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc

Post  Vibhor 9th May 2009, 9:58 am

THREAD MOVED

VT
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 9th May 2009, 10:59 am

the old amby's used to be the kings of indian roads but amby's these days are not upto the mark, poor built quality when compared to the old ones,and mileage is around 10
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 9th May 2009, 4:33 pm

Theres no doubt that Ambassador is still a very nice car, HM has tried adding everything in it which the cars in its segment have, For Eg, A/C, Beige Interiors, Wooden Finish, Music System, Rear Armrest etc.Though the car's body style is like of any vintage but theres a reason behind it, Its because our amby is derived from Baby Hindustan Mark I!Yes, Thats right!

Personally I feel that HM shouldn't change the amby's design because if they, The Amby will lost its personality, Ambassador is the perfect car suited for Indian conditions.Also, I've heard that its rear seats are one of the most comfortable around!

Amby is still serving very nicely in Delhi because most of our politicians use them, Also the taxi operators and you can very easily find one.

A pic of Amby,

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Ob-dk910

VT
    autodude sparsh
    autodude sparsh

Post  autodude sparsh 9th May 2009, 8:32 pm

Well the Amby has the most comfortable backseat of almost all cars in India.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 10th May 2009, 2:32 pm

autodude sparsh wrote:Well the Amby has the most comfortable backseat of almost all cars in India.
    Yeah!I too have heard, They are, heres a pic of its back seat -

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Hindus10

VT
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 10th May 2009, 2:35 pm

good pics vibs, but still what it lacks is to change from rear leaf spring suspension which HML has still hasent moved on to.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 10th May 2009, 3:04 pm

1thing i dont like in it is the front seat, its way too long and gives a weird look, no partiotion in between
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 10th May 2009, 8:03 pm

thackervijay wrote:good pics vibs, but still what it lacks is to change from rear leaf spring suspension which HML has still hasent moved on to.
    Thanks vijay and you are right, HM should consider to change those leaf springs.
    napster wrote:1thing i dont like in it is the front seat, its way too long and gives a weird look, no partiotion in between
    Yeah, but the new model doesn't have those kind of seats now. :)

VT
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 10th May 2009, 8:11 pm

any pics of the new front seats arrangement?
    autodude sparsh
    autodude sparsh

Post  autodude sparsh 10th May 2009, 10:17 pm

The older models of amby and some of the newer models don't have front bucket seats and have a front bench like the rear. So it's the only six seater sedan in India currently.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 10th May 2009, 10:28 pm

thackervijay wrote:good pics vibs, but still what it lacks is to change from rear leaf spring suspension which HML has still hasent moved on to.
    That's right vijay. The ride is not good now. They reduced the body weight by using light weight thin materials, but no changes made to the suspension. As a result the ride is not good. They should come out of leaf spring and also they should concentrate on other mechanicals.

napster wrote:1thing i dont like in it is the front seat, its way too long and gives a weird look, no partiotion in between
    It depends on the variants and your choices. You will get a good comfortable front buckets or you can also opt for a bench seat like in the picture. The bench seats suits taxi purpose.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 10th May 2009, 10:40 pm

autodude sparsh wrote:The older models of amby and some of the newer models don't have front bucket seats and have a front bench like the rear. So it's the only six seater sedan in India currently.
    Actually, Not exactly a 6 seater, I've sat in its front seats as well and it can accomodate only 2 people easily(as any other sedan), because the gearlever comes in the way, Only small kids can sit in it.

VT
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 10th May 2009, 11:58 pm

Vibhor wrote:
    autodude sparsh wrote:The older models of amby and some of the newer models don't have front bucket seats and have a front bench like the rear. So it's the only six seater sedan in India currently.
    Actually, Not exactly a 6 seater, I've sat in its front seats as well and it can accomodate only 2 people easily(as any other sedan), because the gearlever comes in the way, Only small kids can sit in it.

VT
    Right vibhor. It worked fine with hand gear models but not so good with foot gear variants. But it would suit three slim persons , i think. Amby is quite narrow and with two big persons, a kid will be just fit.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 11th May 2009, 7:14 pm

New amby with more luxurious beige interiors gives feel of Indian "Rolls Royce". :)

RoadRocket
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 11th May 2009, 8:43 pm

feel of RR only in the looks, but the driving comfort remains same:lol!:
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 11th May 2009, 10:12 pm

Who will drive a RR first of all? They will sit and enjoy. ;) .

But big improvement can be done with help of Mitsubishi and compete with lower C segment rivals.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 11th May 2009, 10:42 pm

i will drive the car for sure, i want to feel its engine power:)
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 14th May 2009, 10:32 am

jj

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Empty Mileage in Ambassador car HM

Post  jj 24th May 2009, 10:19 pm

In the HM website archives portion , I see Mileage as 19-20KM/Litre???
    Is that on ISUZU petrol/diesel or Ordinary Engine I don't know!
    Any update on this!!
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 24th May 2009, 10:29 pm

JJ, Kindly do not create multiple threads on similar topics.

THREAD MERGED.

VT
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 25th May 2009, 8:43 am

jj wrote:In the HM website archives portion , I see Mileage as 19-20KM/Litre???
    Is that on ISUZU petrol/diesel or Ordinary Engine I don't know!
    Any update on this!!
    I think new Amby should give average of around 12-16Kpl.

RoadRocket
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 25th May 2009, 7:33 pm

2000 ISUZU is capable of giving 18-20kpl. I remember once we got 21kpl.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 25th May 2009, 7:44 pm

Even I like the Amby. It has that old classic look to it. Is also easy to fix and spares are very cheap. but times have now changed. The Amby now needs to go through a major upgrade for people to like it.

A new proper body structure as in modern cars which reduces weight and increases sturdiness. The old pig iron body is sturdy and feels like a tank, but are rust prone and donot exude that quality feel.
    A suspension overhaul is a must. Especially those leaf springs at the rear must be replaced by modern coil springs to improve ride and handling. Leaf springs are good for load carrying, but no one carries load on Amby these days. There is the Tata Ace for that.
    It already has decent diesel engines sourced from Isuzu. But they need major power upgrades to match today's generations diesel engines.
    The brakes are in dire need of improvement which should get discs all round as these Ambys are used pretty badly, so longivity is necessary.
    Interior packaging needs improvement. The dash should be designed to give that classic look, yet all modern facilities like power steering, windows, locks, etc should be present. The dials can be made analogue but the trip meter should be made digital. Interiors should have a good interplay of beige, chrome and wood to give that classic look.
    ORVMs should be made internally/power adjustable for added convenience.
    Safety features like crumple zones, collapsible steering column, ABS, airbags, tubeless radial tyres, seatbelts with pretensioners should be made standard. Powerful headlights and taillights, fog lamps, etc should also be provided.

The entire idea is to provide that 'character' with all modern facilities.

Take for example, the London Taxis

New HM Ambassador grand (P) ISUZU 1800cc Taxi-jun03

http://www.alltaxis.co.uk/london-taxi-berlin-1.jpg

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19th May 2024, 10:23 am