The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
napster
?ushk@r
thackervijay
zinam
archit
anjan
Crazy cat
Vibhor
12 posters

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India!

Vibhor
    Vibhor

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Empty Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India!

Post  Vibhor 9th January 2009, 2:19 pm

French carmaker Peugeot has made it clear that it wants to have a go at the Indian market once again. Peugeot has already played in this deadly competitive car market way back in the mid nineties where it tied up with Premier Automobiles Ltd (PAL) and launched the 309 sedan which was a terrible flop!, purely because it was an out-dated car and seemed like a clearance sale operation by the French company.

PSA Peugeot Citroën (which is actually Peugeot’s parent company) will begin by sourcing components for its cars utilizing the cheap labor and high levels of skill available in the country, and could go one step ahead by setting up a production facility for some Peugeot and Citroen cars.

Using the path which rival Renault followed, Peugeot is looking for a local partner for a tie-up. The company might even setup a fully-owned subsidiary for producing cars for the Indian market- We reckon this must be a low-cost hatchback that will be pitted against the likes of Tata Indica and Maruti Alto. Peugeot might manufacture a low-cost car like the Tata Nano, which could be sold all over the world.:)

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Peugeot_309_india
    (indianautosblog)
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Empty Re: Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India!

Post  Crazy cat 9th January 2009, 10:46 pm

The peugeot despit being an outdated car, was a great car mechanically. It was very powerful and fuel efficient. It handled well with those narrow tyres. If it was not stopped, I'd have got one. If they come again, I'll definietly buy their car.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Empty Re: Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India!

Post  Vibhor 9th January 2009, 10:53 pm

Thats absolutely correct CC!
    Peugeots were very nice mechanically but they didn't looked good though!but if we see the latest peugeots they are quite nice!Hope they come to india soon!
    and crazy cat buddy you never told us that you have also got a peugeot!great!please post some of its pics in seprate thread if possible! :yup:
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 9th January 2009, 11:16 pm

Thanks vibhor dear for the news. Peugeot is a great car and is bound to outperform under our trying conditions here. Their 309 bombed in the mid 1990's as it was an outdated model. I am also listing some earlier Indo-French automobile ventures here.
    The past list of Indo-French joint ventures has some hits and more misses.For instance,the Peugeot 309 was launched by M/s Premier Automobiles Ltd christening the company as PAL Peugeot,
    with its industrial base in Kalyan, which bombed soon and is in tatters at present.The Peugeot 309 version was outdated with sharp edges during its launch.The Europeans learnt it the hard way that we Indian car buyers do not relish outdated stuff anymore.On the other hand, Asian giants Tata, Suzuki,Hyundai,Honda and Daewoo had launched many contemporary models and the rest is history.Some more Indo-French ventures viz.are of M/s Chamundi Mopeds, which launched the 65 cc Peugeot moped in the mid 80's that soon bombed.The moped was priced at Rs 6500 in 1984 and had alloy wheels, battery turn indicators and a self starter. It was much ahead of its times, but priced at par with a mini-motorbike. The project bombed. However, Mahindra and Mahindra jeeps and diesel powered Marutis (not sold too many with the 1327 cc TUD 5 Peugeot engine) with tough and reliable Peugeot engines under their bonnet , have come out with flying colours. The Mahindra Peugeot venture is well past its silver jubilee.The Mahindra 540DP(Commanders and DP jeeps) to the Mahindra XD3P engines (Bolero) have proved that they are the best in business.
    Even the Suvega moped of the 1960's , from the French moped maker
    Motobecane was a runaway success then. French automobiles have been doing arduous and tough jobs in erstwhile French colonies in the under developed African continent, under trying conditions for decades. They should excel in India, should 'state of the art' products get launched after an extensive market research, to be backed up by proper marketing and after sales service.
    The Renault Logan experiment is new to India and its too premature to label it a success or otherwise.
    Lets hope that Peugeot will prove itself lucky this time around.

Last edited by anjan on 13th January 2009, 7:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 9th January 2009, 11:17 pm

No we didnot have it. I was about to say that, if the production is not stopped, we would have bought one car.

But I've driven it.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 10th January 2009, 9:16 am

yea nowadays they are making beautiful cars!!
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 10th January 2009, 10:10 am

Hmmm great info & Thanks for the history of Peugeot Anjan !!

And this is just an sample how peugeot has changed its model!

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Maxtho10

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Maxtho11

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Maxtho12

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Maxtho13

Hope atleast any one of these comes to india with a competetive pricing :)
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 10th January 2009, 10:43 am

anjan, thanks for the info and VIBS gr8 news, but hope peugeot does well this time like fiat with their class cars not doin well in out country. With tough time around the globe, every manufacturer are eying india and china with automobiles industry doing good here and also other companies starting their production houses to export vehicles across globe form India. So ice to hear from this company to start again. Costumers will have good range of companies and models to choose from.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 12th January 2009, 10:31 pm

zinam the 207 Cabriolet and the 407 look cute.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 12th January 2009, 10:35 pm

Yeah!Peugeot 207 is my favourite! :D
    BTW, nice pics zinam!
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 13th January 2009, 10:07 am

zinam, nice pics mate, they really seems to have changed their models which you posted, would be nice to c few of them in our market.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 13th January 2009, 7:15 pm

Thanks Anjan, Vibhor & TV.

For me 308 & 4007 really rocks :)
    ?ushk@r
    ?ushk@r

Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Empty Peugeot coming back?

Post  ?ushk@r 5th June 2009, 6:32 pm

HYDERABAD | MUMBAI | CHENNAI: Peugeot has begun evaluating locations for its car project in India. It has kicked off negotiations with the
    Andhra Pradesh government that has offered to allocate around 800 acres of land near Hyderabad.

The company is understood to be looking at an investment of Rs 1,500 crore for the project. Tamil Nadu is also on the company’s radar, amid expectations that Peugeot will roll-out low cost cars in emerging markets like India by 2010. It is also not clear whether the French auto major will bring in the Peugeot or the Citroen brand first.

"Decisions on product portfolio is expected to be taken after the finalisation of the location. But, the company intends to launch both Peugeot and Citroen products in a limited timespan," said a person familiar with the development.

"We had a proposal sometime back from Peugeot for setting up a facility to make cars here. It was offered land that was earlier offered to the Tata Nano project. Although the first round of evaluation was done, the company is yet to furnish a detailed project report. A team is scheduled to visit Hyderabad in mid-June," B Sam Bob, principal secretary industries told ET.

"We are evaluating several locations across India and a team from Peugeot is expected in the country in the second week of June to take a decision on the location," said a senior Peugeot India official.

The state offered a Rs 300- crore cash compensation to Tata Motors for re-locating Nano from Singur and setting up an integrated plant here. To sweeten the deal, it offered 1,000 acres of free land in Hyderabad, Vizag, Hindupur and Tada in Nellore district, and a slew of fiscal incentives making investment on the project virtually free.

Source: EcoTimes
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 5th June 2009, 6:35 pm

Threads Merged.

VT
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 5th June 2009, 6:41 pm

so, can i expect a plant in hyderabad or around hyderabad/?
    ?ushk@r
    ?ushk@r

Post  ?ushk@r 5th June 2009, 6:41 pm

keep ur fingers crossed :)
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 6th June 2009, 7:10 pm

Peugeot is a good brand.
    I wish they bring the 207cc convertible to India. :)

RoadRocket
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 19th June 2009, 6:49 pm

Again Heres an update on this -

Peugeot Citroen is planning to re-enter the Indian market and intends to invest 350 million Euros in the country. It will be 11 years since the company sets its foot once again in the Indian auto market. It earlier had a joint venture with the Doshis of Premier Padmini. Although there is no official word from the company but the plans are underway to set up its manufacturing unit in either Chennai or Hyderabad.

Peugeot company officials have already met government officials of Andhra Pradesh. They have also reviewed the site prescribed by the State Government at Adibhatla SEZ near Shamshabad International airport. The site proposed for the upcoming project lies on the outskirts of Hyderabad which is in close proximity to two international airports of Hyderabad and Bangalore and close to three seaports of Vishakhapattanam, Naidupet and Kakinada. This land was earlier proposed by Andhra Pradesh government to Tata Motors for their Nano project. It is approximately 1000 acre land and companies interested in investing over Rs. 1000 crores are also exempted from VAT for minimum tenure of 21 years.

Peugeot is actively seeking overseas expansions in especially emerging markets after the plummeting sales in home grounds and developed markets.
    Peugeot Planning to Re-Enter in India! Peugeot3074.jpg-news-400

Source: Cartradeindia.com
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 20th June 2009, 12:46 am

:jump: That's a great news. Hope Peugeot this launches competitive products with aggressive pricing. They should be careful not to repeat their mistakes. They should have their own network.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 20th June 2009, 12:15 pm

Its great to hear that Peugeot is coming back. This carmaker has a special knack for building solid cars which will last several generations. Their build quality and rigidity was superb and so was the suspension. I also count myself lucky because I had got the chance to ride around in a Peugeot 309 petrol that a neighbor of mine owned when he was in Kolkata. The interiors were comfy as well, though the dash had too many buttons. The only glitch was not with the car, but with its service backup, which was very poor. It was a simple and hardy machine which could have worked wonders in India.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 20th June 2009, 12:45 pm

Check this:

Chennai has yet again become the centre of attraction with Peugeot–Citroen eying it as the location for their manufacturing facility of mid sized cars. Following most of the major auto manufacturers decisions to enter the emerging Indian market, Peugeot-Citroen as we reported earlier, is following suit.(Continue reading in IAB)

Where they are heading to? AP or Chennai?
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 20th June 2009, 1:03 pm

I think they are shuttling the locations and yet to finalize on them and all the local newspapers report in such a way that the manufacturer has already started production or something.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 20th June 2009, 5:27 pm

From these continous news' on Peugeot Plans, I guess they will finally set up at Chennai.
    Anyways, Where ever they set up their plants, Atleast India would see Peugeots again.

VT
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 21st June 2009, 10:50 am

dcargod wrote:Its great to hear that Peugeot is coming back. This carmaker has a special knack for building solid cars which will last several generations. Their build quality and rigidity was superb and so was the suspension. I also count myself lucky because I had got the chance to ride around in a Peugeot 309 petrol that a neighbor of mine owned when he was in Kolkata. The interiors were comfy as well, though the dash had too many buttons. The only glitch was not with the car, but with its service backup, which was very poor. It was a simple and hardy machine which could have worked wonders in India.
    You're really lucky one and I agree with the point that because of Poor dealer and service network, Peufeot failed but hope this time it doesn't happens.BTW, Do you have any pics of that time?

RoadRocket
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 21st June 2009, 12:21 pm

Road Rocket wrote:
    dcargod wrote:Its great to hear that Peugeot is coming back. This carmaker has a special knack for building solid cars which will last several generations. Their build quality and rigidity was superb and so was the suspension. I also count myself lucky because I had got the chance to ride around in a Peugeot 309 petrol that a neighbor of mine owned when he was in Kolkata. The interiors were comfy as well, though the dash had too many buttons. The only glitch was not with the car, but with its service backup, which was very poor. It was a simple and hardy machine which could have worked wonders in India.
    You're really lucky one and I agree with the point that because of Poor dealer and service network, Peufeot failed but hope this time it doesn't happens.BTW, Do you have any pics of that time?

RoadRocket

I unfortunately don't have pics of that time. Around 10 years back. I agree about the hard build, it felt so secure. I think that Peugeot Citroen hatchback will be a good seller if dealership network is improved. Most people have a good image of Peugeot in their minds.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5th July 2024, 7:32 am