The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
raj_5004
im_hummer_freak
Vibhor
7 posters

My Experience with Toyota Innova [G]

Vibhor
    Vibhor

Big smile My Experience with Toyota Innova [G]

Post  Vibhor 6th June 2009, 9:47 pm

Hi All,

In my recent trip to Shirdi, I spent alot of time in a Toyota Innova, As I don't have other details of it nor I driven the car, So I can't write up its complete review, So I would just like to share some likes and dislikes for the Innova with some pics.

The Innova which we used was the G variant(Ltd. Edition) D4D which had clocked around 50,000+ Kms on the odo.

I liked it,

• The Innova has now become quite old car but still feels fresh.
    • Nice sleek sedan like looks (Ofcourse better than of Xylo)
    • Sufficient space inside.
    • I found the NVH levels to be very low inside the car.One of the good positives.
    • All controls are very easily reachable for driver as well as front passanger, So you don't have to bang your head and take eyes out of road to adjust the Music system or other controls.
    • Its really hot these summers but Innova's A/C managed to cool the whole car(Esp.Cabin) quickly.
    • Instrument panel looks very nice when lit up at night.
    • Lots of cubby holes here and there, Very useful indeed.
    • We had a 4hrs+ long drive in it but still no one felt much tired! 👍
    • Its a MUV but when you get inside it you still feel like sitting in a sedan.
    • Theres a clear view of road from the cabin.
    • A big ORVMs give a clear view in this "big"car.
    • I found the plastic quality to be better than in Xylo.
    • It managed to climb up the hills without much difficulties.
    • Who said that overtaking is difficult in an Innova, Our driver very easily overtook many HMVs and cars on the highway.

Now some Dislikes,

• Firstly I would like to point out the Road and Tyre noise, It was quite alot inside the cabin with all windows rolled up, Also add the D4D engine's noise too!
    • Sadly, All space is occupied by seats,Where to keep our luggage? I think toyota forgot that when there will be so many passangers inside the car, There will be luggage too!
    • As this was the G variant, I felt the steering's plastic quality to be bit low.
    • A-Pillar really obstructs some vision, A pain in the congested areas.
    • As being a long car, Rear visibility is almost Zero, Parking sensors are a must in it.
    • A/C vents doesn't shut down fully,Looks odd!
    • Why exposed gearlever and other bits even in G variant?(That too Ltd. Ed).
    • Manual ORVM adjust! :frustration:
    • Blacked out Headlamps(In Diesel)looks like they have already busted!(Most of the people don't like them)Thankfully they aren't in the the facelifted Innova.

So these were the likes and dislikes of mine in the Innova G D4D,Personally, I feel it an overall a very nice car for long familly drives and Taxi purposes aswell(Which its serving in huge nos. in India)I've sat in its E variant to but thats a way too basic, This G version makes a VFM buy but if you need more add-ons then the V version is for you, which is actually a complete package, Offering many more features such as alloys, Airbags, Wooden finish etc etc.
    I will keep adding when more points come in mind.
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 911
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 712
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 812
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 515
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 614
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 220
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 121
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 318
    My Experience with Toyota Innova [G] 417

VT

Last edited by Vibhor on 6th June 2009, 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Big smile Re: My Experience with Toyota Innova [G]

Post  im_hummer_freak 6th June 2009, 10:17 pm

nice write up vibhor. all the positives and negatives of innova are well covered. waiting for the pics.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 6th June 2009, 10:17 pm

hi buddy, my reply in bold:
    Vibhor wrote:
    I liked it,

Sufficient space inside.
    infact, excess space to play around!

• I found the NVH levels to be very low inside the car.One of the good positives.

i found the NVH to be real bad when compared to scorpio. the vibration is a lot less but noise levels are too high.

• Its really hot these summers but Innova's A/C managed to cool the whole car(Esp.Cabin) quickly.

the throw of air is great, through all vents.

• We had a 4hrs+ long drive in it but still no one felt much tired! 👍

i get a back pain in the front seats but the rear seats are good.

• Theres a clear view of road from the cabin.

vibhor, you & me are really different! i feel the outside visibility to be bad. the high dashboard & thick pillars means you can only judge the road & bonnet distance.

• A big ORVMs give a clear view in this "big"car.

great feature. infact, if properly adjusted, you can see the rear tyres! helps during reversing. but the huge mirrors sticks out of the body too much & is a pain in heavy city traffic because of some stupid bikers.

• I found the plastic quality to be better than in Xylo.

by a huge margin!

• It managed to climb up the hills without much difficulties.

yes, it does pull but not as easily as it's competition...

Who said that overtaking is difficult in an Innova, Our driver very easily overtook many HMVs and cars on the highway.

i said! the engine feels very noisy after 100 kmph & feels strained after 120 kmph.

Now some Dislikes,

• Firstly I would like to point out the Road and Tyre noise, It was quite alot inside the cabin with all windows rolled up, Also add the D4D engine's noise too!

contradicting statements here! above you have said that NVH levels are low!

• Sadly, All space is occupied by seats,Where to keep our luggage? I think toyota forgot that when there will be so many passangers inside the car, There will be luggage too!

not toyota's fault! you cannot get everything vibs... you bad boy! either fit the passengers & throw the luggage or do vice-versa! or get yourself a tempo traveller or tata 407!

• A-Pillar really obstructs some vision, A pain in the congested areas.

there you go!

• As being a long car, Rear visibility is almost Zero, Parking sensors are a must in it.

visibility from the RVMs can be used to an extent.

• A/C vents doesn't shut down fully,Looks odd!

why? it happens in all luxury cars too.

Pics to be added soon.

waiting!

Last edited by raj_5004 on 6th June 2009, 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 6th June 2009, 10:37 pm

@raj : lol, i like that 407 or tempo traveller point, even a force motors toofan does it, lots of place, :lol!:
    i dint like the innova on highspeeds, and braking suddenly at highspeeds takes off my breath, i dont like it on highways at all
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 6th June 2009, 10:49 pm

@Hummer, Thanks!
    @Raj, Nice replies.
    Now here are mine -

i get a back pain in the front seats but the rear seats are good.
    I found all seats to be comfy, Yes Rear seats are more if I compare to Xylo's their back support is quite straight.
    BTW, I spent most of the time in front.

vibhor, you & me are really different! i feel the outside visibility to be bad. the high dashboard & thick pillars means you can only judge the road & bonnet distance.
    I'm talking about the striaght road visibility(May be I felt that because of my tall height.)I agree that it has got thick pillars & high dash.
    the huge mirrors sticks out of the body too much & is a pain in heavy city traffic because of some stupid bikers.
    Lol, Very True.
    contradicting statements here! above you have said that NVH levels are low!
    I forgot to mention that Road Noise is present on at high speed on Highways, Its perfect in City.
    not toyota's fault! you cannot get everything vibs... you bad boy! either fit the passengers & throw the luggage or do vice-versa! or get yourself a tempo traveller ot tata 407!
    Atleast they should have offered equally.Rear boot space is really very less but I liked those small storage space.
    Anyways, I've found a substitute for this!
    The Roof carrier!But then one will have to compromise with its looks.
    why? it happens in all luxury cars too.
    Didn't knew.Any Eg.?
    But they spoils the looks sometimes.My 800 is better in this case! :)

VT
    abhinavgupta
    abhinavgupta

Post  abhinavgupta 6th June 2009, 11:03 pm

Great review.
    I think the OVRMs shut when you turn that circle kinda thing completely down.
    I experienced that during my trip to the same place.

A Solution to luggage problem. - > Nuclear Family :)
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 6th June 2009, 11:08 pm

my replies in ITALIC!
    Vibhor wrote:@Hummer, Thanks!
    @Raj, Nice replies.

Thanks!

I found all seats to be comfy, Yes Rear seats are more if I compare to Xylo's their back support is quite straight.

hey, xylo's seats are much more comfier, thats what i feel. anyways, i wont challenge your opinon.

I'm talking about the striaght road visibility(May be I felt that because of my tall height.)I agree that it has got thick pillars & high dash.
    whats your height vibhor? i am 6'2". and i find the visibility poor. not because i cannot see the road, but its because i cannot see the bonnet.

Atleast they should have offered equally.Rear boot space is really very less but I liked those small storage space.

if they provide passenger space + boot space, then it will become log like a LIMO! Lol! pun intended.

Didn't knew.Any Eg.?
    But they spoils the looks sometimes.My 800 is better in this case! :)

corolla, montero, camry, accord etc.

VT
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 6th June 2009, 11:11 pm

Pictures Added.

VT
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 6th June 2009, 11:50 pm

Nice write up vibhor.

@raj, regarding bonnet visibility, yes but that's the case of many new cars. Even in Xylo you can't see the bonnet properly like in Scorpio or Qualis. Small cars are even worser, almost in all cars, you can't see the bonnet completely. I first had problems with it, but now got used to.
    Vibhor wrote:
    Now some Dislikes,

If i'm not wrong, Innova has the largest boot space among UVs having bench on third row. Xylo and Grande are the poorest.

napster wrote:
    i dint like the innova on highspeeds, and braking suddenly at highspeeds takes off my breath, i dont like it on highways at all
    Then i guess you wouldn't like any UVs at highway speeds, because Innova has the best-in-class dynamics.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 7th June 2009, 9:45 am

@ crazycat: hi buddy, i am not averse to cars having a sloping bonnet buddy. infact only some cars like the indica & innova are not so good. the reason is the high dashboard.

about UVs, sorry buddy, but stability in innova is very poor in high speeds. any innova owner with stock tyres would tell you that. infact, innova is not good to drive above 120 kmph. the ride quality remains good. but above 120 kmph, the vehicle does not hold a straight line & wanders on the roads because of which slight corrections to the steering are needed always. coupled to this, the excessive engine noise, wind & tyre noise does not make it a pleasant experience. the innova is best at 100 kmph. and like napster mentioned, braking in the non-ABS versions is pathetic. the culprit for all this is, i think, the tyres. you cannot simply defy the laws of physics!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th June 2009, 11:29 am

raj_5004 wrote:@ crazycat: hi buddy, i am not averse to cars having a sloping bonnet buddy. infact only some cars like the indica & innova are not so good. the reason is the high dashboard.

about UVs, sorry buddy, but stability in innova is very poor in high speeds. any innova owner with stock tyres would tell you that. infact, innova is not good to drive above 120 kmph. the ride quality remains good. but above 120 kmph, the vehicle does not hold a straight line & wanders on the roads because of which slight corrections to the steering are needed always. coupled to this, the excessive engine noise, wind & tyre noise does not make it a pleasant experience. the innova is best at 100 kmph. and like napster mentioned, braking in the non-ABS versions is pathetic. the culprit for all this is, i think, the tyres. you cannot simply defy the laws of physics!

Yeah i've noticed that, the dashboard is big, so that the windscreen itself is very far from driver.

Ok, but which UV betters Innova in stability and brakes?
    I've been to a max of 120kph in my friend's Innova G for a short distance. Didn't notice much of stability, but brakes were superb, better than Xylo, Scorp, etc..
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 7th June 2009, 12:03 pm

napster wrote:
    Then i guess you wouldn't like any UVs at highway speeds, because Innova has the best-in-class dynamics.[/quote]

i dint drive xylo yet so cant judge it but as far as innova is concerned i like it for city purpose, not for the highways
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 7th June 2009, 12:04 pm

I found the Innova to be a very comfortable car for long distance trips.

VT
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 7th June 2009, 1:38 pm

good short review vibs, covered almost the things of innova one can, yes its soothing confortable but what was heard is innova has the best NHV levels across all uv's but you said the other way around,hmm. 8O
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 7th June 2009, 1:47 pm

thackervijay wrote:good short review vibs, covered almost the things of innova one can, yes its soothing confortable but what was heard is innova has the best NHV levels across all uv's but you said the other way around,hmm. 8O
    Thanks vijay and that is what I said, Innova has very low Noise,Vibration & Harshness (NVH)Levels in city.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 7th June 2009, 9:23 pm

@ CC: stability of scorpio & safari is better if you neglect the roll which is expeted of an SUV. these vehicles hold on to a straight line at high speeds. brakes of ABS equipped innova is great but try emergency braking in an innova without ABS. the tyres will squeak & howl & the vehicle just skids forward, but if course, in a straight line.

@ vijay: buddy, innova has the worst NVH. even the sumo grande is better, i mean it. our indian made scorpio & safari are very much superior. for example, the noise which the innova's engine makes at 100 kmph is equal to scorpio's engine at 140 kmph.

Last edited by raj_5004 on 7th June 2009, 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 7th June 2009, 9:41 pm

raj_5004 wrote:@ CC: stability of scorpio & safari is better if you neglect the roll which is expeted of an SUV. these wehicles hold on to a straight line at high speeds. brakes of ABS equipped innova is great but try emergency braking in an innova. the tyres will squeak & howl & the vehicle just skids forward, but if course, in a straight line.

@ vijay: buddy, innova has the worst NVH. even the sumo grande is better, i mean it. our indian made scorpio & safari are very much superior. for example, the noise which the innova's engine makes at 100 kmph is equal to scorpio's engine at 140 kmph.

that is true raj, innova makes lots of noice at high speeds, innova is more a city car
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 7th June 2009, 11:07 pm

yes napster, i agree. infact, the size of the innova, its space & seats makes it an excellent highway tourer, its just that the tyres & engine dont support them!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th June 2009, 11:50 pm

raj_5004 wrote:@ CC: stability of scorpio & safari is better if you neglect the roll which is expeted of an SUV. these vehicles hold on to a straight line at high speeds. brakes of ABS equipped innova is great but try emergency braking in an innova without ABS. the tyres will squeak & howl & the vehicle just skids forward, but if course, in a straight line.

May be because of less weight, stability is not good. But brakes, its the way you brake(but on emergency not much can be done). But Scorp without ABS is even worser, no confidence inspiring.

Poor NVH levels might be because of less power of engine, and it strains much while other feel relaxed. Another reason might be lighter body, compared with Scorp and Safari.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 8th June 2009, 3:49 pm

yes, scorpio without ABS is much more worse. but thats expected of a 'mahindra'!!!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th June 2009, 6:20 pm

raj_5004 wrote:yes, scorpio without ABS is much more worse. but thats expected of a 'mahindra'!!!
    Safari is even worser, more scarier than Scorpio.

Yeah that's why i said, Innova is dynamically ahead of others.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6th October 2024, 12:54 pm