The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India!

Vibhor
    Vibhor

Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India! Empty Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India!

Post  Vibhor 30th March 2009, 4:56 pm

Hey guys!
    Honda two wheelers India has announed that it will exit the geared scooter segment in India and phase out its 150cc model - Eterno as the company plans to focus on the gearless segment.
    “We will stop producing Eterno. We will not stay in this segment (geared scooter). Eterno will be phased out,” HMSI President and CEO Shinji Aoyama said in New Delhi on the Launch of the new Activa.
    The company would focus on gearless scooters in the future and with the launch of the new Activa, HMSI is looking at a total of 18 per cent growth in its two wheeler sales in the next fiscal, 2009-10.

Eterno was selling only about 40,000 units a year, which was very small, Aoyama said. The company didnt deny launching a substitute but added “We will surely compensate with a substitute, but at the moment the new Activa is enough to take the challenge as it will give 15 per cent increased mileage.”
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India! Empty Re: Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India!

Post  thackervijay 31st March 2009, 2:33 pm

oh thats not so good for gear scooters owner and new buyers, believe me is of the best gear scooter since bajaj failed against honda with eterno, and in gear scooters market honda was leading since couple of years, but against gearless scooters market growing up and comparision is not that great of both, yes it shows why company doesnt tend to continue gear scooters.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India! Empty Re: Honda to exit geared scooter segment in India!

Post  Crazy cat 31st March 2009, 6:36 pm

I read this news yesterday in newspaper. Really sad news. Eterno returns great FE but sadly didn't do well in our market. In fact many don't know about the availability of a geared Scooter named Eterno.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 2nd April 2009, 9:42 am

really, thats not the scene here CC, infact its one of the most sold scooters here and out of 10 scooters on road, 7 would be eterno here, its selling in good numbers here as its a 4 stroke 150cc geared scooter, stable and returns good FE.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 4th April 2009, 12:15 am

But sadly vijay, i've seen only one Eterno so far and that too in the Honda Service Station.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 4th April 2009, 9:53 am

there was a time here when deliveries were almost taken for 2 weeks, superb selling here and also for second hand markets as well.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 4th April 2009, 10:41 am

Preferences of customers vary, can be clearly felt here. In Coimbatore, the era of geared Scooters ended with old Bajajs and other scooters available at that time. Even Honda didn't take booking of it, when we were buying Aviator some months back.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 4th April 2009, 11:47 am

Era of Geared Scooter is Over :)

Why did they first try to launch this segment in India?

I don't like this move, because even GrandPa's have changed their mindset to Drive Activa's & Dio's..

So it is good atleast for me that geared scooters are moving out of india :)
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 5th April 2009, 11:22 pm

Hey Zinam, how did Eterno perform in Chennai?
    I was really shocked on its performance in Ahmedabad, as said by Vijay :affraid: .
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 6th April 2009, 12:32 pm

Crazy cat wrote:But sadly vijay, i've seen only one Eterno so far and that too in the Honda Service Station.
    What?Only one!Thats surprising, I've seen many eternos in the hardiwar(UP) region and here in delhi also you can spot few.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 6th April 2009, 1:29 pm

@vibhor, it performed very badly here. While buying Aviator, they said that they are not even take bookings of it. I thought this scenario is same all-over india. But i was wrong.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 1st July 2024, 6:47 am