The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
thackervijay
Crazy cat
voldemort
abhi_qpotsiavs
8 posters

Verna CRDi at 98000kms..

abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Verna CRDi at 98000kms.. Empty Verna CRDi at 98000kms..

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 23rd March 2009, 6:46 pm

Verna CRDi at 98000kms.. Atyaaa24Verna CRDi at 98000kms.. Atgaaa33Verna CRDi at 98000kms.. Atgaaa32
    Hyundai Verna CRDi
    Booked 2 Vernas in Nov 2006.. Maroon and Passion Red.. Maroon one for our engg and passion red for myself..
    At the time of Launch, Diesel verna was available in only 1 variant and that too basic one without Hieght Adjustable seat, narrow tyres and No ABS.. This was highly disappointing..
    Got delivery of Maroon one on 7th jan 2007.. On paper Verna seemed very attractive with 110bhp CRDi engine.. We already had 3 CRDi cars before Verna (2 Accents and a Tucson).. And we were very sattisfied with those 3 so obviously we went for Verna without thinking twice.. Passion red Verna was scheduled to be delivered in 3rd week of Jan.. Till then I used Maroon one for atleast 1000kms.. To be frank I was highly disappointed with the car.. And I felt lucky that my car was readily not available.. Obviously i cancelled the booking of Passion red Verna and the booking amount was transferred to Service dept of Sharayu Hyundai for servicing of our other Hyundai cars..
    Like our other cars, Verna too started its travel to all corners of Maharashtra since Day 1..
    Looks: Looks are subjective.. Verna being well-known in market, need not discuss much in detail.. But I didn't like the rear part.. In interiors, dashboard too is quite plain-jane..
    Comfort: Front seats are too low.. Highish steering wheel and dashboard gives you that SUNK feeling.. U take time getting used to this odd driving/ sitting position.. Rear seats hav decent leg-room and are reasonably comfortable..
    Performance: 1.5 CRDi with 110 Bhp screams power.. What it fails to indicate though is the turbo lag.. There is a huge turbo lag till 1800 RPM.. U fully press the accelerator under 1500RPM wondering why the hell car is not picking speed and once the car is past 1800 RPM, the car suddenly take off with mind-blowing urgency.. 0-100 comes at appx 10 secs and Top-speed attained is 190kmph.. Fuel effciency achieved is 17 on highways and 12-14 in city with AC On full time.. One thing i noticed while accelerating the Verna is there is a considerable output of black smoke from exhaust.. This is applicable to all Vernas..
    Ride and Handling: Tyres disappoint a lot in this department.. The 175/70/R14 tyres just arn't sufficient to handle the power of Verna.. 185/65/R14 tyres of SX are much much better.. With narrower tyres, car just feels as if it is floating in air without any contact with road.. Theres no feeling of safety what so ever.. Bcoz of these tyres, handling is very poor and u don't feel comfortable to push the car on the corners.. Ride is good with upto 3 seats occupied but gets a bit bumpy with full load.. Ride is good on bad roads too but u get a rattling feeling in steering wheel while on rough roads.. Steering too lacks feedback.. And this car is very risky to be driven at high speeds.. This reminds me of a tagline of some tyre, "Power is nothing without Control".
    Maintainence: First 4 services are absolutely free which gets over at 20000kms.. After that u need to shell out appx Rs. 3000 per service.
    Non-routine Repairs: At 34000 kms the Turbo started making whistling sound at above 2500Rpm. Checked with Sharayu Hyundai and got the Turbo replaced under warranty. Asked the price of Turbo out of curiousity and was surprised to know that it costs Rs. 65000! At 56000Kms, Front suspension job was done costing Rs. 14,000. At 76,000kms, Rear wheel bearings gave up and had to be replaced for Rs.8500. And in Mid Jan at 92000kms (just after completing 2 years and expiry of warranty), the engine started making strange noise.. Checked with Sharayu Hyundai, They said that theres a probaility of Timing Chain making noise. If that is the cause, it will cost Rs. 30000. Still if it makes noise, then engine head needs to be serviced which may cost 25000+.. Now this vague reply obviously irritated us.. Checked with Service Manager and he assured that they won't make us pay for anything which was alright. Finally the cause was HLs which work with timing chain. There was gap in the connecting rod and due to this timing chain was making noise. It costed Rs. 37000.
    Now at 98000kms, Turbo has again started whistling.
    Tyre life is 30000kms to the max.. Now the car is running on 3rd set and requiring new set of tyres immediately.
    All in All, this is the best maintained and one-hand used car in our fleet driven very smoothly. And still it has costed a good amount of money to maintain.. All the money saved in fuel by buying a diesel car and more is spent in the maintainence. This car is not a pleasure to drive, not much comfortable and costly to maintain. I guess, this car is not as well-engineered as other Hyundai cars are..
    Verna sold well only bcoz there wasn't any better alternative to Verna.. Now that Linea is here, it is a much better alternative to Verna.. So what if it is bit underpowered?
    P.S: Hav only 3 pics of Verna as of now..
    voldemort
    voldemort

Verna CRDi at 98000kms.. Empty Re: Verna CRDi at 98000kms..

Post  voldemort 24th March 2009, 4:01 pm

Nice pics!
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 24th March 2009, 5:53 pm

One funny policy of Hyundai: Verna comes with basic warranty of 2 years/ unlimited kms.. While my car was about to complete 2 years, I inquired for extended warranty and was surprised to know that it costs Rs.10000 and lasts for 4 years/ 80000kms.. Cost is fine, period is fine.. But if basic is unlimited kms then why 80000kms limit for extended warranty? My car was already 92000kms then.. :)
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 25th March 2009, 8:48 pm

Again a well written review and awesome pics. Turbo lag haunts surrent day's cars a lot. I now started to think about the need of NA engines with linear power delivery. I think it is not only tyres, but also the comfort based suspension of Verna that spoils the handling. Very sad to hear problems in your Verna. I always don't trust Hyundai, as far as mechanicals are concerned. lol..the extended warranty part is quite funny.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 26th March 2009, 10:07 am

nice written another review abhi, didnt knew verna crdi is that expensive to maintain, yes on the part that till now it was the best diesel saloon available which now has good competitions around, your warranty part is too funny may be dealers might not know that.Is that turbo lag continued in current crdi verna too, and also getz crdi has same engine, if by chance you have driven that does is feel the same lag as verna does.
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 26th March 2009, 10:20 am

Thanks for the appreciation..
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 27th March 2009, 8:24 pm

Good review again, Abhi, Verna is a very nice car and its diesel version is pick of the lot. :)
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 29th March 2009, 4:30 pm

Hey abhi, another well written review, Hyundai verna is a good car and as RR said CRDi is pick of the lot.I've sat in my uncle's verna and its very silent and comfortable diesel car, I was really impressed with it overall, and by the way your labrador is very nice. 8)
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 30th March 2009, 4:55 pm

That Lab is Late Leo.. Passed away last year.. :(
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 30th March 2009, 4:58 pm

abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:That Lab is Late Leo.. Passed away last year.. :(
    Oh, Very sorry to hear that buddy.🇳🇴
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 30th March 2009, 6:57 pm

nice review Abhi
    i really like Verna but unfortunately i have never sat in one!
    sorry to hear about your labrador!
    they do leave a scar in the brain when they go!
    Akash
    Akash

Post  Akash 27th May 2009, 3:01 pm

I never knew that verna was so expensive to maintain. My dad used to have Accent but it was almost maintainance free.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th June 2009, 9:45 am

What about the cost of regular changing parts like air filter, oil filter and diesel filter? kindly update on that :)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 29th September 2024, 4:55 am