The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Vibhor
abhi_qpotsiavs
abhinavgupta
Crazy cat
archit
swapszone
10 posters

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway

swapszone

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Empty 60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway

Post  swapszone 4th May 2009, 3:52 pm

Horrific accident on Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway near Ghantoot
    Source:GulfNews

Abu Dhabi: At least three people were killed and nearly 350 injured in a horrific 60 vehicle pile-up on the Abu Dhabi-Dubai highway near Ghantoot on Tuesday. . Images from the crash scene, which you can view by clicking the source below, are incredible, including the one shown above

However, Gulf News has learnt that the death toll could be five. The 25km stretch of the UAE's busiest highway from Abu Dhabi to Dubai was closed for more than five hours, resulting in huge tailbacks during rush hours.

Police said among the 347 injured, six people were critical, while 39 suffered medium injuries. The remaining suffered minor injuries. Police said 25 vehicles caught fire following the accidents caused by poor visibility due to the thick fog and lack of attention by motorists.

Dubai: “I have not seen so many people injured on the road in the UAE. This is nothing short of a disaster," said Suresh Mohandas, a motorist who escaped with a bruised knee.

It was quite chaotic because of the thick blanket of fog. But then as things started to the in clear the scene that hit my eye was shocking. The injured were lying everywhere. There were cars in flames”.

Shaleela Salem, another eye witness who had a close escape said: “I was one of the eye witnesses of the entire accident. I was on the fast track when I saw a person within 50m distance waving his hands to stop me or slow me down. I did not exactly get his message across.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eyewitness accounts of UAE road crash
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Less than 50m ahead, I could see a whole load of cars hit together and still being hit from behind by other drivers who could not apply brakes on time. Since I had no option, I took an immediate right turn to avoid hitting the herd of cars ahead.

"In a moments flash, I turned my steering without even turning to look if there were any cars towards my right. To my luck and Gods grace, my right track was clear at that moment of time and I applied hard brake and stopped on the extreme right side.

"It was a horrible site on my right to see cars continuously speeding and bashing the cars. Due to the fog, my visibility was much restricted. There were people and labourers on the road.”

Tim Anderson a British national who was stranded for more than two hours in the traffic said the scene of the carnage was straight from a Hollywood movie.

He said: “I have never seen anything like this. The fog was really thick and there were people speeding. It was really crazy. There were plenty of motorists who were driving with their hazard lights on.

"It took awhile for the helicopters to arrive on the seen but then again you can’t blame them because the weather conditions were not favorable for them. But the paramedics were on the job straight away.”

Rachael Johnson, an Australian motorist who was at the accident scene said: “There were some buses that were involved in the accident and I am just glad to see that the buses did not overturn.

"What really got be irritated was when I saw some of the motorists busy clicking away pictures on their mobile phone instead of helping the injured. Some of the motorists who were stranded in the traffic were seen offering water to those who were injured.”

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9rJi60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway PqcqNwJ60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9wIA
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway PqcqSw060 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway PqcqV0960 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9GH9
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9LGr60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9OaA60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway PqcqXvi
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9_Ei60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Pqcr1uA60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVwaoAJ
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Pqcr8Z060 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Pqcrbt960 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVwaG2J
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVwaNx960 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVwdz8960 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway PqcsCgi
    archit
    archit

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Empty Re: 60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway

Post  archit 4th May 2009, 4:12 pm

wow!
    that is seriously big!!! LOL
    this is crazyi think more people may have died!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Empty Re: 60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway

Post  Crazy cat 4th May 2009, 4:18 pm

For a accident so big, only 3 were dead? I could see few cars completely crushed up and some were burnt.
    swapszone

Post  swapszone 4th May 2009, 4:21 pm

even i expect more to be dead... but its the news ...
    abhinavgupta
    abhinavgupta

Post  abhinavgupta 4th May 2009, 5:00 pm

Omg.
    What is that.
    Man. I'm just stunned
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 4th May 2009, 6:27 pm

If it happened in India, death toll could be beyond 100. Thanks to tinny cars and lack of awareness (not wearing seatbelts and all)
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 4th May 2009, 6:51 pm

Oh Man!
    So many major accidents,Car are crushed and burning like toys!
    I'm stunned too!:affraid:

VT
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 4th May 2009, 6:53 pm

THREAD MOVED
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 4th May 2009, 9:44 pm

abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:If it happened in India, death toll could be beyond 100. Thanks to tinny cars and lack of awareness (not wearing seatbelts and all)
    if it has happened in India, i guess these many cars will not be collided. As our traffic is slow moving, the number of vehicles involved could be less. And we have some special skills in born to tackle these situations, thanks to all the vehicles who drive slowly(around 30-40kph), take blind turns, stop suddenly, park on the middle of the road, cut lanes freely, etc..
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 5th May 2009, 7:28 pm

I'm simply shocked! :affraid:
    But howcome only 3 died?

RoadRocket
    swapszone

Post  swapszone 5th May 2009, 9:00 pm

one accident that i've seen on mumbai roads involved 6 cars... banging one behind the other....
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 7th May 2009, 1:50 am

All these vehicles get airbags and all of them wear seatbelts, hence the low death toll..
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th May 2009, 10:08 am

dcargod wrote:All these vehicles get airbags and all of them wear seatbelts, hence the low death toll..
    But i could see some cars badly crushed up.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 7th May 2009, 10:16 am

This one is the worse, The Passat is really very badly crushed up. :shock:

60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9GH9
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th May 2009, 10:20 am

And these cars too
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway Pqcr8Z0
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVwaoAJ
    60 + cars accident on Abu Dhabi - Dubai Highway AVw9rJi
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 7th May 2009, 10:50 am

swapszone wrote:one accident that i've seen on mumbai roads involved 6 cars... banging one behind the other....
    I was myself involved in one such accident of 7 cars banged in line on Ghatokopar flyover. I was 6th in line. Best part is I controlled my car (Indica) booting up the Civic in front of me. But the Indigo behind me booted me.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 7th May 2009, 11:43 am

what an horrified scene of accident man, good to see is the number of passengers died is very less seeing that scene of collision.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th May 2009, 11:48 am

abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:
    swapszone wrote:one accident that i've seen on mumbai roads involved 6 cars... banging one behind the other....
    I was myself involved in one such accident of 7 cars banged in line on Ghatokopar flyover. I was 6th in line. Best part is I controlled my car (Indica) booting up the Civic in front of me. But the Indigo behind me booted me.
    In cases like yours, who all will be blamed? All 6 cars which were following the first car?

I've seen a similar accident, in which an Accent was crushed between two trucks. But the damage was minimal luckily.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 7th May 2009, 11:53 am

the reason we see such accidents on other countries more is cause of the highways built for that speed, people driving on that high speed with knowing nothing to comeup in between roads as they do in our country ie. pedastrains,animals etc. and when one vehicle stops or haults with any reasons, such mishaps happens.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 8th May 2009, 2:18 pm

OMG!, if one driver does a small mistake, it'll effect almost 15more cars around him
    swapszone

Post  swapszone 8th May 2009, 9:21 pm

yup... thats true guys...

its always good to anticipate the traffic to avoid accidents...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 16th June 2024, 6:09 pm