The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
zinam
Crazy cat
anjan
7 posters

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!

anjan
    anjan

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Empty My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!

Post  anjan 29th November 2008, 8:38 pm

This Valentine, my Honda Activa was bought on Feb 14th 2003. I've covered about 10300 kms on it. All the free services were done at the dealership. Being a DIY I've been tinkering on this scooter ever since. But other than routine maintenance like changing the engine and gear oils and cleaning the air filter/ carburettor/ spark plug no other problem has fortunately cropped up till now.
    The engine is a gem and is so smooth and silent that when new, I had a tough time sometimes guessing whether it is on or off. of course now the engine sound is prominent and my ears are tuned to know its moods.
    The choke is funnily located and concealed from the rider's view. So in some cases one may engage the choke and it remains engaged till one sees it or hears abnormal strokes from the engine.

Though the whole body of this scooter lifts up to open and facilitate repairs accessing the spark plug is problematic. The older scooters were much better for DIY guys like me. I had the whale of a time doing the jobs on Bajaj and Lambretta scooters. Also accessing the carburettor in the Activa for getting it opened is a problem. These take unwanted, extra time and could have been better located. The air filter, oil change (both gear and engine) ports are well located.

The tuff -up tube is much hyped about. This scooter had two major punctures on the rear wheel about six months after it was bought. Roadside puncture wallahs treat these tubes, the same way as any other. But luckily apart from the solution draining out fully from it, the tube is perfect till this date.

Touchwood! no more punctures after that.And the inner wheel rim- the rear wheel rim when opened during July-Sept 2003( after one monsoon and 5-7 mths of use) showed rust on the metallic silver paint. I have a garage and do not live in a coastal area. Thats deplorable. Luckily, I did'nt have to get it opened later. By now, it may be more rusted all over the inside.Even the silencer gets rusted within a month of use. I have tried to save the rusting on it by applying coats and coats of paint every few months but to no avail.

The new battery (Exide)conked off in 2005. For a few days, I was kick-starting and using the scooter. But at traffic junctions if the idling engine switches off, try the impossible. Kick-starting it with the rider seated and the centre stand taken off. That's impossible. Even kick-starting the scooter otherwise is a turn off. The kick-starter is very funnily located. As is evident in the picture below the disengaged centre stand will never allow the rider to use the kick-starter- how about my friends who could not get the battery replace or friends whose scooters have fault in the self starter mechanism? In traffic signals if the engine stalls then its very tough.Drag the scooter to the corner and then get down and kick-start the scooter.

The plastics are of a very poor quality. The mirrors casings as OE get whitish grey in no time and even after trying to keep these looking slick (car dashboard polishes) nothing works. The plastics on the obverse of the footboard too become whitish grey. The front axle has plastic covers as seen in the picture. these are akin in quality to some children's games bought from the roadside. We buy Honda and we want Honda quality- what if the costs are more by another few hundred rupees?
    The omnipresent warning in all new vehicles- "Objects in the mirror are closer than they actually appear" is not viewed seriously by many.

The scooter is otherwise very,very dependable, sturdy and easy to use handle in any kind of city traffic. Its fuel consumption is about 41-45 kmpl depending upon the riding style.The variator does'nt allow fuel economy but Honda can seriously think of bettering it. Because the 2 stroke Kinetic Honda with a 100cc engine consumed the same amount of petrol. A 4 stroke engine must be leaner.

Sometimes I prefer it over any four wheeler in crowded places where parking is a nightmare. But again another woe- HMSIL can't do anything about it! when parked very close to bikes (in cities this can't be avoided) and other two wheelers, the sides of the Activa which have a gleaming paintwork get badly mauled and scratched. the silencers and foot pegs of bikes get close to the Activa's rear left and right sides.

Last edited by anjan on 29th November 2008, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Empty Re: My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!

Post  Crazy cat 29th November 2008, 8:47 pm

A great review.
    Yeah that is Honda's refinement. It is difficult to judge whether it is on or off.
    The plastics of Hondas are poor. My Unicorn's mirror had the same problem
    41-45kmpl is I think is good for an auto scooter.
    I can't see the pics. I think this should be posted under Car and Bike reviews.
    zinam
    zinam

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Empty Re: My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test!

Post  zinam 29th November 2008, 9:18 pm

Great Review Anjan !!

Activa is really an Out Performer of Auto Scooter segment.
    But according to me HMSIL could have tweaked the vehicle for lesser weight & More Mileage where this is the Place it lost to get through the competition.

I owned a Sccoty ES 2002 Model & I have clocked more than 60000Kms... :o

Never faced any issues & its absolutely an balanced scooter for City rides.

Jus before two months i Xchanged my ES for PEP +.

PEP + is really outperforming the competition in many ways... :flower:
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 29th November 2008, 10:17 pm

THREAD MOVED
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 29th November 2008, 11:05 pm

great detailed report buddy...
    i used to feel honda's plastic quality is great but your experience speaks otherwise.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 29th November 2008, 11:29 pm

raj_5004 wrote:great detailed report buddy...
    i used to feel honda's plastic quality is great but your experience speaks otherwise.
    Well I think you are talking about Honda cars. Honda bike have poor quality plastics especially the switch gears.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 30th November 2008, 12:03 pm

gr8 review anjan, honda surely gives you a gem of engine but lags service and plastics quality. else wise i too like activa which rides quite comfortable with pillion riders too as i c with my cousin. :cheers:
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Empty Excellent Review!!

Post  Vibhor 30th November 2008, 3:50 pm

Excellent review of your Activa anjan buddy!!...activa became very popular within very short time span!...even my cousin also owns an activa....n it has been trouble free ride except for few very minor probs! :D
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 4th December 2008, 8:31 pm

Thank you dudes for the compliments - the Activa is a very reliable performer but for the quality hassles viz. plastics, metal rust (the wheel rims) and some other niggling faults. which is least expected from a company like Honda which swears by quality all over the world!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 5th December 2008, 8:32 am

@Anjan, I faced the same problems with my old Unicorn. Body rattle is also more pronounced in Unicorn. Hope these things change.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 5th December 2008, 10:10 pm

yeah Crazy Cat the Activa does'nt feel solidly built-it rattles and some huge pothole encounters are enough to start rattles forever. Sorry to know about your Unicorn. The Bullet feels solid. Even my RX 100 feels solidly built though its Japanese and now 18 years old.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 21st December 2008, 8:34 pm

My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Activa14
    A few pictures of this Valentine
    Above
    The tuff up tube of this wheel had two punctures within the fisrt few months of the purchase. never in the five years has another puncture occurred.
    Below
    The kick starter seems to foul up with the centre-stand (when this stand is disengaged)
    My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Activa16
    The choke (camafluoged for the rider under the handle bar) whether engaged or disengaged was tough to know in the beginnning - but now i am used to it.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 23rd December 2008, 10:55 pm

The silencer pipe that repeatedly gets rusted.
    My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Activa18
    And here's its picture in full-the reflecting tapes on the mirrors are life savers
    My Valentine- The Honda Activa- a very long term test! Activa19
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 14th February 2009, 8:31 pm

A Very happy Sixth Birthday to my trusted Activa- bought on 14th Feb 2003!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 14th February 2009, 10:45 pm

A very happy 6 th birthday to your Activa anjan. :)
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 15th February 2009, 11:55 am

clap :yup: thats gr8, happy sixth birthday to your valentine buddy.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 15th February 2009, 11:57 am

Oh yeah guys!
    Anjan, wishing your activa belated Happy B'Day! :yup:
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 15th February 2009, 8:15 pm

Thanks CC, Vijay and Vibhor for the greetings.
    crazzylove
    crazzylove

Post  crazzylove 15th February 2009, 11:03 pm

Vibhor wrote:Oh yeah guys!
    Anjan, wishing your activa belated Happy B'Day! :yup:

same here wishing your Activa belated Happy B'Day :yup:
    Takecare

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26th June 2024, 6:42 am