The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm??

sudeepd

Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm?? Empty Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm??

Post  sudeepd 22nd January 2009, 5:47 pm

Today I got the Gear Oil of our Indigo LS (1,58,924 kms) replaced with new one. But I doubt the mechanic poured 4 litre oil instead of 3.3 litre (Recommended by TATA Motors Ltd). Will the excess 0.7 litre Gear Oil do any harm to the Gearbox in short or long run?
    If yes, then I will have to remove the excess oil from the "level check" hole.

I know that if Engine Oil is excessively poured instead of Recommended Quantity, then that excess EO (Engine Oil) flows into exhaust chamber. But what about Gear Oil.
    Please guide me.
    anjan
    anjan

Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm?? Empty Re: Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm??

Post  anjan 22nd January 2009, 8:48 pm

Not advisable. Excess of anything is bad. Like excess engine oil harms the engine gaskets causes more smoky exhaust.
    sudeepd

Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm?? Empty Re: Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm??

Post  sudeepd 23rd January 2009, 1:51 pm

So can you please tell me the adverse effects of excess Gear Oil (in excess of 30-40%) on the Gearbox, or any other part of car?
    nishweth

Post  nishweth 7th April 2009, 8:44 pm

It will damage the gearbox gasket and oil seals

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 8th July 2024, 1:18 am