The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
thackervijay
Akash
Crazy cat
napster
raj_5004
im_hummer_freak
fihast
11 posters

Automobile terminologies

fihast
    fihast

Automobile terminologies Empty Automobile terminologies

Post  fihast 28th May 2009, 8:36 pm

Hi friends i would like to begin a topic on automobile terminologies which i think will be very helpful. just post terms and their meaning. i'm sure this will be helpful for those who are new to the world of automobile.
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Automobile terminologies Empty Re: Automobile terminologies

Post  im_hummer_freak 28th May 2009, 8:50 pm

nice idea. i am game for it.
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 28th May 2009, 9:20 pm

indeed there are lots of terms which most don't actually know the real meaning and functioning like ABS, EBD, Turbo, Lugging, RPM, bHP and the list goes on . So let's begin the game.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 28th May 2009, 10:50 pm

Thread Moved.
    Thread marked Sticky.

Last edited by raj_5004 on 28th May 2009, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 28th May 2009, 10:57 pm

ABS : Anti lock braking system - modulates brake pressure with the help of wheel sensors in every wheel to prevent wheel locking & hence loss of control.
    EBD : Electronic Brake Force distribution - modulates braking force on each wheel according to the loads acting on each wheel.
    Turbocharger : takes in some amount of exhaust gases & re-sends it to the combustion chamber. two advantages:- more power & more efficiency. more efficiency because hot exhaust gases raises the combustion temperature inside the cylinder.
    RPM : revolutions per minute/speed of the engine
    BHP : brake horse power.

P.S. : I am no genius in this, i knew these because i am in my final year of automobile engineering.

Last edited by raj_5004 on 28th May 2009, 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 28th May 2009, 10:59 pm

ok, here we go, ill start
    ABS-anti lock braking system
    RPM-rotations per minute
    BHP-brake horse power
    EBD-Electronic brakeforce distribution
    SRS airbags- Supplemental Restraint System airbags

ROLL CAGE-A roll cage is a specially constructed frame built in (or sometimes around) the cab of a vehicle to protect its occupants from being injured in an accident, particularly in the event of a roll-over. Roll cages are used in nearly all purpose-built racecars, and in most cars modified for racing. There are many different roll cage designs depending on the application. They also help to stiffen the chassis, which is desirable in racing applications.

A roll bar is a single bar behind the driver that provides moderate roll-over protection. Due to the lack of a protective top, some modern convertibles utilize a strong windscreen frame acting as a roll bar.[1] Also, a roll hoop may be placed behind both headrests (usually one on older cars), which is essentially a roll bar spanning the width of a passenger's shoulders..
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 28th May 2009, 11:14 pm

instead of all members posting many automotive terms & explaining each of them here, i feel the members who have any doubt on some terms should post them here & the other members should try to answer his doubt. this field is vast & if all terms are written down here, it will become too long.
    also, i feel we should explian the terms in our own words & should not give wikipedia or google links. what say guys?
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Post  im_hummer_freak 28th May 2009, 11:17 pm

raj_5004 wrote:instead of all members posting many automotive terms & explaining each of them here, i feel the members who have any doubt on some terms should post them here & the other members should try to answer his doubt. this field is vast & if all terms are written down here, it will become too long.
    also, i feel we should explian the terms in our own words & should not give wikipedia or google links. what say guys?
    yes i agree. people can post there queries here and the other members can help them with that. as posting all the terms at once is not possible.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 28th May 2009, 11:23 pm

i am ok with that, both the ways are ok for me
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 29th May 2009, 7:17 am

side impact bars abd anti roll bar -anyone?
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 29th May 2009, 7:58 am

Very nice thread.

Side impact bars or beams, are found on the sides of the car, doors to be exact. These bars help in reducing the side impact to an extent. An added safety feature. Many cars have this nowadays, but their functionality(rigidness) varies a lot.

Anti-roll bar aids in handling. I'm not quite sure on exactly how it performs, but i can says its uses. It reduces the body lean of the vehicle. Then it can control body roll and help in reducing understeer.

If i'm wrong, then please correct me.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 29th May 2009, 12:25 pm

anti roll bars control body lean when the vehicle is steered hard, and hence it controls bbody roll to an extent and side impact bars are those which are placed in your doors and they doesnt prevent car crushing from side when the car rolls or when some other vehicle hits the car in side ways
    Akash
    Akash

Post  Akash 29th May 2009, 2:02 pm

Can someone explain the differnce between the handling of a Hydraulic power steering and EPS. I know one is electronically controlled and other hydraulically but how does it make difference in handling part?
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 29th May 2009, 2:03 pm

so, if i thought right, the anti roll bar may work by providing enough weight(gravity) on the tyres, so that when the car is cornered very fast the tyres don't rise from the road, right?.
    what about crumble zones ?
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 29th May 2009, 2:26 pm

Akash wrote:Can someone explain the differnce between the handling of a Hydraulic power steering and EPS. I know one is electronically controlled and other hydraulically but how does it make difference in handling part?

The EPS is more successful in small cars i hope since it works with help of electric motor and uses more electric power, which may indirectly add to fuel consumption, but for bigger vehicles, i believe hydraulic PS will be effective. but that too needs changing of oil.
    The EPS is more good in handling than hydraulic.

i hope i'm right, if not anyone correct me.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 29th May 2009, 2:29 pm

Akash wrote:Can someone explain the differnce between the handling of a Hydraulic power steering and EPS. I know one is electronically controlled and other hydraulically but how does it make difference in handling part?
    EPS doesn't have nay feel at all. On most cases, you feel like using an arificial feel, etc.. Need some practice to steer at high speeds. Estilos are a good example for the bad bits of EPS. But EPS is more efficient and doesn't give load to engine.

Hydraulic on the other hand gives a connected feel. You could position the vehicle exactly where you want, even at high speeds. But on the down side, it gives some stress to the engine.

My pick would be Hydraulic for the feel.

@fihast, hydraulic steering would be good for better handling of the too. As the EPS loses feel, esp at high speeds.
    and also EPS is more efficient, it is the hydraulic that gives load to the engine.
    fihast wrote:so, if i thought right, the anti roll bar may work by providing enough weight(gravity) on the tyres, so that when the car is cornered very fast the tyres don't rise from the road, right?.
    Crumple zones are formed in a vehicle to absorb the amount of impact. It absorbs the impact and reduces the amount of impact to be passed on passenger compartment. It achieves this by crushing completely and giving a cushion effect.

the damage to vehicle is more in a vehicle with crumple zone, but proves more safety as the impact on passenger compartment is less.
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 29th May 2009, 3:26 pm

thanks CC,
    you're right my estilo EPS gives me an artificial feel. i had placed a steering rotator in it, and if i had to steer fast for parking it was very easy, but at high speed i feel like the tyres are in air, ie, no feel at all.
    does rough use of power steering cause damage to axle bearings(LH and RH) in front wheel drives?
    Akash
    Akash

Post  Akash 29th May 2009, 3:35 pm

Crazy cat wrote:
    EPS doesn't have nay feel at all. On most cases, you feel like using an arificial feel, etc.. Need some practice to steer at high speeds. Estilos are a good example for the bad bits of EPS. But EPS is more efficient and doesn't give load to engine.

Hydraulic on the other hand gives a connected feel. You could position the vehicle exactly where you want, even at high speeds. But on the down side, it gives some stress to the engine.

My pick would be Hydraulic for the feel.

@fihast, hydraulic steering would be good for better handling of the too. As the EPS loses feel, esp at high speeds.
    and also EPS is more efficient, it is the hydraulic that gives load to the engine.
    fihast wrote:so, if i thought right, the anti roll bar may work by providing enough weight(gravity) on the tyres, so that when the car is cornered very fast the tyres don't rise from the road, right?.
    Crumple zones are formed in a vehicle to absorb the amount of impact. It absorbs the impact and reduces the amount of impact to be passed on passenger compartment. It achieves this by crushing completely and giving a cushion effect.

the damage to vehicle is more in a vehicle with crumple zone, but proves more safety as the impact on passenger compartment is less.

Thanks buddy, my doubt cleared to a great extent but i have driven accord and many others with EPS at high speeds, but never had any problems. So what is the artificial feel you were telling about? Because not many people appreciate EPS. I really dont understand why?
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 29th May 2009, 3:37 pm

@ fihast: cars with EPS gives slightly better efficiency because the motor is driven off the battery or alternator. in hybraulic PS, the compressor takes some power from the engine.
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 29th May 2009, 3:47 pm

raj_5004 wrote:@ fihast: cars with EPS gives slightly better efficiency because the motor is driven off the battery or alternator. in hybraulic PS, the compressor takes some power from the engine.
    thanks for that piece of information.
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 30th May 2009, 6:22 am

ICE, HVAC, Automatic climate control?
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 30th May 2009, 9:46 am

ICE- In-Car Entertainment
    HVAC- Heating Ventilation and Air-Conditioning system
    Automatic Climate Control- It controls the temperature automatically. All you have to do is set the temperature and the system will take care of everything.
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 30th May 2009, 10:29 am

good thread guys, very informative.
    fihast
    fihast

Post  fihast 1st June 2009, 6:56 am

someone explain IVTEC and VVTEC
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 1st June 2009, 9:15 am

VTEC is Variable Timing Electronic Control. It is the Honda version of VVT-i.
    No idea about WTEC, never heard of it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 7:02 am