The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
napster
ghost
Gangsta
im_hummer_freak
Road Rocket
sudeepd
anjan
Vibhor
raj_5004
zinam
Crazy cat
15 posters

K&N air filter

Gangsta
    Gangsta

K&N air filter - Page 2 Empty Re: K&N air filter

Post  Gangsta 14th March 2009, 12:08 am

sudeepd wrote:
    anjan wrote:The tests prove and show constructively that more dust is ingested with
    K&N as compared to stock paper and felt filters

If more dust is injected with K & N, then how will the engine perform better? Won't it (the extra dust) damage the engine?
    Please justify.

Bro it is a special filter it will not harm your car engine although it will increase your car's performance as it will s*** cold air from outside. There are also cleaning kit available for the filter's which either you can clean by yourself or can can clean it from outside.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 14th March 2009, 5:13 pm

Hi Gangsta, Welcome to TAI forums, Please refrain from multiposting in future, You can use edit option(available under 15 mins. after posting) if you want to add something in your post. Thanks.

RoadRocket.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 14th March 2009, 6:32 pm

@gangsta, thanks for the info :) . How much will that Pete's green filter and K&N will cost?
    ghost
    ghost

Post  ghost 14th April 2009, 1:50 am

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Read through it and decide.This was a test done using fine dust particles and was used on a ford power stroke 7.3 L diesel.The kind of dust white people see is nothing compared to what we have to drive through daily.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 14th April 2009, 2:24 am

This article has only K&N that we can buy here. But it is the bad performer in the test. Aren't there any brand in this test is available here? Is Pete's Green Cotton filter better than K&N?
    ghost
    ghost

Post  ghost 14th April 2009, 5:45 pm

Foam usually is better,but you can get Uni foam and filteres in India.Mumbai to be more precise.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 18th May 2009, 9:29 am

In the 20000km service, i didn't change the air filter as i got sanctioned for the air filter. In a day or two i'll be going for an airfilter, K&N or Petes. Please suggest between the two. And also please specify any specific type or model to look out(like universal, stock replacement, etc..).
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 18th May 2009, 11:13 pm

Some one answer it soon, as i got to install it by tomorrow.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 19th May 2009, 12:56 am

dude, if you havve a diesel car, then dont go for the replacement filter from k&n because your engine starts shouting like hell, if you want some bhp gain, then go for a cold air intake like typhoon intake from k&n
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 19th May 2009, 10:14 am

But many said the difference is not notable. It is more notable in bikes but for cars the difference is very less. Now i'm confused.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 19th May 2009, 10:53 am

difference is not varied in a stockreplacement filter, you only feel the difference when your car is on high rpms, but in typhoon intake yo can feel the difference instantly
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 19th May 2009, 11:20 am

I'll be going for stock replacement only.

How often should the OEM airfilter be changed? Till now i thought on every service, but today Maruti service centre said me that it will be replaced only after 40k kms.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 19th May 2009, 12:14 pm

i use to change it for every 10-15k kms, now i got a replacementfilter from k&n and it was said that i dont have to change it for 1lakh kms, just normal dusting for every 30k kms
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 19th May 2009, 5:11 pm

I'm asking about manufacturers' schedule for replacing airfilters :)
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 19th May 2009, 9:07 pm

manufacturer actually claims that the filter should be changed for every 10k kms but different service centres tell different intervals
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 21st May 2009, 11:08 am

Crazy cat wrote:I'll be going for stock replacement only.

How often should the OEM airfilter be changed? Till now i thought on every service, but today Maruti service centre said me that it will be replaced only after 40k kms.

good that you opted for stock filters, your manual would be saying its replacement schedule at every 10k, but its preferred to done at every 5k intervals, also you can clean your filters yourself every 2k's which is useful and also the turbo kick which seems missing after few K;s would come back after that DIY.Also which engine oil is used at your service station, do check as some MASS have SHell and some uses Mobil, would suggest you to go for Mobil then any other ones though suggested by maruti, Mobil does the duty more perfectly then other oils.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 21st May 2009, 4:47 pm

@vijay, i just confirmed with the service station that airfilter will be replaced only after 40000km. And they clean it at every 10000km.
    P3T3R
    P3T3R

Post  P3T3R 22nd May 2009, 11:33 am

Green Cotton & K&N are priced quite close. People say the Green Cotton is better than K&N. However for about half the price of a K&N or Green Cotton, you can get a Ractive Filter. Works just as well.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 22nd May 2009, 7:31 pm

Any more info on it? I've never heard of it before.
    Interceptor
    Interceptor

Post  Interceptor 11th July 2009, 4:00 am

Crazy cat wrote:Any more info on it? I've never heard of it before.
    Green cotton is not as famous as K&N and that is the reason for the high premium you pay to get K&N filters. If you dont mind living with a less familar name then i would suggest to go for Greencotton as you would have to pay half lesser price than K&N. I am not too sure about Ractive but i have seen it on my friends car and its a CAI and not just a filter.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 11th July 2009, 9:16 am

Half less price? Recently when i asked a Green dealer(i found one on Pete's website), the price of Green filter is quite similar to K&N.
    Interceptor
    Interceptor

Post  Interceptor 11th July 2009, 9:36 am

Yes Crazycat, i did check on the green cotton filters in Chennai and he quoted Rs2500 whereas K&N at Rs4400. Now i am thinking if it could have been a stock exchange filter instead of a conical one[confused]. Let me check again and update my post
    P3T3R
    P3T3R

Post  P3T3R 11th July 2009, 11:18 am

K&N and Green Cotton are similarly priced. Ractive is about half the price.
    Aviral Tyagi
    Aviral Tyagi

Post  Aviral Tyagi 11th July 2009, 12:49 pm

K&N comes at a 100,000 Mile warranty , it is not necessary to change it on every service.
    The performance gains will be almost negligible with only K&N unless you pair it with other mods like Free Flow Exhaust system( not only the rear muffler but also the Headers and Cat. convertor), performance camshafts etc.
    And to do this you will have to install cold air intake filter of K&N not the standard replacement filter.
    Cold air filters will void the manufacturers warranty.
    Replacement filters can increase FE by 5-6%.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 11th July 2009, 9:08 pm

i've got a replacement filter on my ride, FE dint show any improvement but yeah, the performance change can be seen,, its a stock and hence the change can not be notice at low rpms but once you rev your engines you can notice the change, stock filters cant provide enough air for the engine when you rev them, that negative side is full filled by k&n, and the sound it makes is just awesome

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 16th May 2024, 10:27 pm