The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Crazy cat
abhinavgupta
im_hummer_freak
fitsandy
8 posters

My DIY Simple Car Mods

fitsandy
    fitsandy

My DIY Simple Car Mods Empty My DIY Simple Car Mods

Post  fitsandy 22nd April 2009, 3:35 pm

Hi !

I am a happy owner of an Esteem MPFI 1.3 L 2000 model and have tried simple DIY car modding techniques and got a good bang for my buck. I would like to share my practicle experience here with other readers :

1. Created a True Cold Air Intake by creating a heat shield in the engine bay & relocated the IAT sensor in the right fender- Noticably impoved low end torque - less gear shifting now on city roads.

2. Cut open the filter air box from the front to remove air restriction - free flowing air , have used a Qualis filter as well earlier with a self fabricaed adapter with better pick up mileage results than stock esteem filter, thinking of using Scorpio one for trial now and Swift Petrol filter with resonator box and lower part of the air box cut open if space permits.

3. Used longer air tube - wider power band at low and mid range rpm (1500-4000)

4. Fabricated Blow by Oil Catch Can - Keeps throttle body & IAC valve clean and runs engine cleaner, prevents oily plugs & plug fouling

5. Removed CAT and replaced mid body silencer with a straight pipe.

6. Removed factory silencer and retrofitted much open Opel Corsa 1.6 Silencer.

7. Using 130/100 Philips halogen tubes directly connected to car batt through a rotary on-off/ hi-low beam swich (borrowed from a tractor) - Night vision is as good as a daylight vision till 200 meters ahead of the car.

8. Shaved off & polished the throttle body from inside.

9. Using Aura alloys with tubeless bridgestones R-13 size.

10. Cross drilled my front brake discs - two concentric circles in each disc with 8 holes in each circle.

11. Have tried side gapped plugs with some success but later shifted to Bosch Super 4. Side gapped plugs gave the engine extra grunt but there were some random misfires at low engine rpm under load, possibly due to increased gap of electrodes, will try them later with correct gapping.
    Above mods are giving me excellent results both in terms of power / torque / kmpl and its fun to drive the car now. Acceleration is superb and car flies like never before.

Currently I am getting 15 kmpl in city (450-475 kms driving over a 30 litre refill I get everytime) with AC on and over 22 kmpl on highway with AC on. I keep my tyre pressure @ 25-26 psi only for increased driving comfort on potholed roads of Gugaon. Max speed I touched after these mods is 170 km, didnt go beyond as was getting strong tyre burning smell inside the cabin.

Car looks absolutely innocent from outside but makes the stock Cities, Balenos, Accents, Skodas, Optras and Swifts bite the dust if they try to mess up on the street.

I have not tried K&N and dont want to as it lets dirt enter the engine and reduces engine life. I prefer to use bigger paper element filters from bigger cars, keep them clean with air blowing them every now & then.

The next mods I wanna try are lighter undersized pulleys and lighter flywheel to further improve power, pickup and mileage, will post results as they come.

Thanks.
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

My DIY Simple Car Mods Empty Re: My DIY Simple Car Mods

Post  im_hummer_freak 22nd April 2009, 3:43 pm

wow. thats some great and i must say smart modding. good job fitsandy.
    fitsandy
    fitsandy

Post  fitsandy 22nd April 2009, 4:01 pm

Thx Freak . How about creating a desi hummer using Tempo Trax Chassis & Engine and LCV rims and tyres from Tata 407 ?
    abhinavgupta
    abhinavgupta

Post  abhinavgupta 22nd April 2009, 6:15 pm

All that a DIY. Truely amazing.

How about some pics?
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 22nd April 2009, 7:29 pm

All jobs are DIY? That's great. But removing CAT will pollute more right?

How about some pics?
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 22nd April 2009, 7:40 pm

Hi fitsandy!
    Great job with your esteem man! :goodjob:
    Are there any major exterior mods as well(except alloys etc)because most of work seems like of performance only.
    Please share some pics of your esteem here.

@CC ; Yes, It pollutes more, but is it allowed by govt. ?
    abhinavgupta
    abhinavgupta

Post  abhinavgupta 22nd April 2009, 7:50 pm

Will anyone ever get to know about it.
    If it goes for a PUC check, the guys there generally let you off if you place 50 bucks in your hand.
    Your car will be the cleanest car in the world if you give them 50/100.

The govt will never get to know about removal of CAT
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 22nd April 2009, 9:07 pm

abhinavgupta wrote:Will anyone ever get to know about it.
    If it goes for a PUC check, the guys there generally let you off if you place 50 bucks in your hand.
    Your car will be the cleanest car in the world if you give them 50/100.

The govt will never get to know about removal of CAT
    haha, True but this is not a good thing 💢 , Also, It works in country like India only!
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 22nd April 2009, 9:13 pm

and add bangkok too!
    bribery here is also very easy to do!
    fitsandy
    fitsandy

Post  fitsandy 23rd April 2009, 11:34 am

No exterior mods, as they make the cars look more of owned by a RICER-BOY (called - FUKRA locally in North India).

The car meets the pollution norms without any bribery as the combustion is cleaner and more complete - I dont burn engine oil - thanks to Oil Catch Can & complete combustion due to Bosch 4 plugs.

Squeezing the engine for efficiency doen't mean polluting, It means making it more efficient.

Cold air intake gives cold air to engine that is denser and carries more oxygen and hence more complete combustion of the air fuel mixture.

The car runs fine without a Choked CAT as its a 2000 model and CAT had oulived its effective life so it was useless as it is. Its better to have no CAT than a choked CAT - as you will end up wasting more fuel / km due to increased back pressure.

As a responsible Citizen I will always make sure that I dont pollute the skies more than my share, and also expect my fellow citizens, while enjoying their Rides :drive2: .

SECOND POST
    @ Vibhor how to paste pix - I dont see the option on the reply page. Pl guide. Thanks

Please use EDIT option for posting under 15 minutes

Last edited by Crazy cat on 23rd April 2009, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Posts merged- posted under 15 minutes)
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 23rd April 2009, 11:41 am

That's great fitsandy clap . Its good to hear that your car passes through emission tests genuinely.

GO to this thread to know how to post pictures and videos

http://www.theautomotiveindiaforums.com/announcements-f2/posting-pictures-videos-t26.htm
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 23rd April 2009, 12:25 pm

Great Job. Can you elaborate on Head lights please? I am planning to change Bulbs of My Optra magnum to 100/90 ones. My mech has advised to fit a cut-out. Will it do? My car is 11 months old and I don't want to mess up with its electricals. I hope there arn't any side effects.
    im_hummer_freak
    im_hummer_freak

Post  im_hummer_freak 23rd April 2009, 2:35 pm

fitsandy wrote:Thx Freak . How about creating a desi hummer using Tempo Trax Chassis & Engine and LCV rims and tyres from Tata 407 ?
    haha..i have been thinking of that since a long time. it would look great.
    fitsandy
    fitsandy

Post  fitsandy 28th April 2009, 7:52 pm

@abhi_qpotsiavs

Headlamps @ Philips 130/100 Watts, costed me Rs. 165 each in Delhi (MRP 200). Do a direct battary line using an add on relay, doesn't cost much but most effective.

I have used a tractors (Ford) headlight roary switch in the car with direct batt connections. Switch fits sungly anywhere below dash on RHS in space provided for piano switches in Esteem. Mine was an old car so I didnt mind using a tractor switch but since yours is a new one, go in for a relay circuit.

I have tried all kinds of German/ Chienese/ Japanese/ Italian - Blue, White, Crystal, Diamond White, Super Blue lamps but the current ones are the best as far as visibility is concerned. Philips 130/100 Watts. They can easily match lighting of HID at the fraction of their cost, HID has more of a bling value to my mind.
    IMHO for long/short range vision yellow is the best, for only short range vision HID is good.

Not creating a debate on HID v/s Halogen here, though.

Thanks
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 3rd May 2009, 5:18 pm

fitsandy can u provide some pics and also a step wise procedure for these diy's

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 16th May 2024, 9:11 am