The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Vibhor
abhi_qpotsiavs
Road Rocket
zinam
raj_5004
Crazy cat
thackervijay
sudeepd
12 posters

Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears??

sudeepd

Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears?? Empty Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears??

Post  sudeepd 22nd January 2009, 5:54 pm

The below link says "Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears.
    But Always use the clutch to change down through gears.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/in-en/shell_for_motorists/tips_for_motorists/biking_tips.html

Read the first two lines in 'Clutch Control' Section of Tips for You and Your Bike and reply this topic.
    Does it mean that you should sometimes avoid using the clutch while upshifting the gears but always use the clutch while downshifting the gears?
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears?? Empty Re: Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears??

Post  thackervijay 22nd January 2009, 8:21 pm

woh, have never heard of this before man, i mean doesnt you ruin your vehicle by doing so. You always need to use your clutch to change gears.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears?? Empty Re: Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears??

Post  Crazy cat 22nd January 2009, 11:25 pm

Even I've not heard of it before. I really have no idea of this.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 23rd January 2009, 9:47 am

as far as i have heard, if the engine is at the correct rpm, you do not need to use the clutch while upshifting. while downshifting, you will have to slow down enough to attain the correct rpm which is not always possible, so you will have to use the clutch.

but it is always advisable to use the clutch anyways, decreases wear and tear.
    sudeepd

Post  sudeepd 23rd January 2009, 2:04 pm

But its Shell (World Famous Lubricants Manufacturer) which recommends that Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears.

See the URL. Its www.shell.com.

raj_5004 wrote:as far as i have heard, if the engine is at the correct rpm, you do not need to use the clutch while upshifting.
    while downshifting, you will have to slow down enough to attain the correct rpm which is not always possible, so you will have to use the clutch.

Can you please tell me what do you mean by Correct Rpm?
    raj_5004 wrote:
    but it is always advisable to use the clutch anyways, decreases wear and tear.

But the 3rd point in Clutch Control of Tips for You and Your bike (Please check the URL Specified by me in 1st Post) says that "Good clutch control saves wear and tear on your gear box". Now whats this "Good Clutch Control" mean?
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 23rd January 2009, 5:20 pm

A local mechanic has said the similar explanation said by raj. So I think that there shouldn't be any problem in shifting without clutch.

@sudeepd, these things vary from bike to bike. The Correct RPM should be the one at which the gear changes smoothly without any trouble. And the same goes for Clutch control too, I've seen some who slot the bike in first by holding clutch and wait for the signal even if it for a minute.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 24th January 2009, 10:28 am

Oh!! this is really great info guys !!

Thats why i saw all MTC buesses here never uses Cluch while Upshifting, rather they use clutch only when downshifting.

I thought these guys are runing since these buses are not their propery. :)
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 24th January 2009, 11:08 am

thats the case with almost every muncipal buses across nation zinam, where they use their cluch in downshifting only, which is a common practise by their drivers.
    sudeepd

Post  sudeepd 1st March 2009, 8:07 pm

Currently I use Clutch at the Start (Neutral to 1st) but not while up shifting after that (2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th), but Always use Clutch while Down shifting (5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st or Neutral as the case may be) for my Pulsar 180 DTS-i (LCD).

Feels Great while Up Shifting without Clutch. If shifted without clutch properly, no jerks are felt.

Avoiding Clutch will have POSITIVE EFFECT on Fuel Efficiency as Clutch eats up Fuel when used.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 1st March 2009, 9:10 pm

thackervijay wrote:thats the case with almost every muncipal buses across nation zinam, where they use their cluch in downshifting only, which is a common practise by their drivers.
    I learnt that all trucks drivers driving old trucks(that has double clutch) and most of the city bus drivers don't use clutch while upshifting. I think as they rev hard and shift, they are able to do it(like i tried in my bike- above 5000rpm). I don't know how will it be possible in cars though. Any idea on shifting without clutch in cars?

@sudeepd, it is good to hear that you don't use clutch. I tried in my bike but i'm not doing regularly. Any tips you wish to give? :)
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 3rd March 2009, 12:48 pm

I too didn't knew about it :!:
    sudeepd

Post  sudeepd 4th March 2009, 11:42 am

@CC
    I try to up shift (without Clutch, of course) around 2500-3000rpm. If done at correct rpm, the bike does not give jerk and the shift action is also positive (i.e., without any Gear shifting noise).
    But if not done at correct rpm, the bike may give jerk while up shifting without clutch.

I tried shifting on our Indigo XL Dicor. Sometimes the gear used to engage properly, but sometimes the gear lever made noise while moving the lever from Neutral to Third (in process of Shfting from 2nd to 3rd).
    I think I will have to practise more on an open road (less traffic) first and then take it in traffic.

Also as Indigo has Dry Clutch, I am unaware of the rpm to shift.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 4th March 2009, 10:23 pm

Thanks sudeepd.
    I found that it is quite easy to do in bikes but is difficult in cars. I succeeded in bringing it to neutral, but not able to engage gears.
    sudeepd

Post  sudeepd 7th March 2009, 6:57 pm

Crazy cat wrote:Thanks sudeepd.

You are Welcome. :)
    Crazy cat wrote:I found that it is quite easy to do in bikes but is difficult in cars. I succeeded in bringing it to neutral, but not able to engage gears.
    I face the same problem.
    I think the cars having Dry Clutch face this problem. They allow to shift to Neutral but stop from engaging gears.

Yesterday also I tried shifting from 2nd to 3rd without clutch. The Gear Lever shifted to Neutral Smoothly (without clutch) but as I tried to push the Gear Lever from Neutral to 3rd, it refused to move :shock: . Then I depressed the Clutch and Engaged 3rd Gear (from Neutral). :x
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 8th March 2009, 11:51 am

but while doin it in your car, when you hear that sound as CC and sudeep said, doesnt that harm your gear shaft where more pressure is engaged to change them unlike along with pressing the clutch, do shed more lights on this.Anjan any idea about this practice mate??
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th March 2009, 3:56 pm

@vijay, i think it'll surely harm the gearbox. So i'm not trying after the initial failure. Will learn more and will try later.
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 13th March 2009, 2:30 pm

Clutch-less Gear shifting is possible, but only in Bikes I guess.. In 4-wheelers, it can damage Gearbox..
    sudeepd

Post  sudeepd 13th March 2009, 3:28 pm

abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:In 4-wheelers, it can damage Gearbox..
    This applies in case of Dry Clutch Vehicles.
    Safari has Hydraulic Clutch. Its possible to up shift and even downshift without clutch in Safari.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 13th March 2009, 6:02 pm

@sudeepd, can you please tell me what is a dry clutch and wet clutch?
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 13th March 2009, 6:09 pm

Crazy cat wrote:@sudeepd, can you please tell me what is a dry clutch and wet clutch?
    hahaha :lol!: I don't think theres any wet clutch! :lol:
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 13th March 2009, 7:22 pm

It is there vibhor, i think. I've heard of it. I think some bikes have it too.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 13th March 2009, 8:25 pm

Crazy cat wrote:It is there vibhor, i think. I've heard of it. I think some bikes have it too.
    Oh, Seriously? I didn't knew that. :roll:
    Zal
    Zal

Post  Zal 14th March 2009, 5:36 pm

Yes there is a wet clutch.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 15th March 2009, 12:58 pm

Ok, Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Zal
    Zal

Post  Zal 15th March 2009, 4:18 pm

This video is very good. Please watch

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content