The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Tubeless tyre repair

Aviral Tyagi
    Aviral Tyagi

Tubeless tyre repair Empty Tubeless tyre repair

Post  Aviral Tyagi 11th July 2009, 12:39 pm

Guys i have seen here in muscat that to repair a tubeless tyre, they remove the tyre from the rim, and then repair it from the inner side and apply some kind of solution. This procedure is a bit expensive compared to india, they charge 5 Rials (i.e 500 rupees) per tyre Shocked , but back home in india, they use a glue plug, which does not require the wheel to be taken off. And this one is pretty cheap.
    I wanted to know which one is a safer option??
    Interceptor
    Interceptor

Tubeless tyre repair Empty Re: Tubeless tyre repair

Post  Interceptor 11th July 2009, 3:07 pm

Here are the most common methods for tubeless tyre rupture:

Plug Method

In this type of repair method, tools required include hand drill, inserter, solution, and blades. Hand drill is used to clean and make the hole visible. Inserter is used to insert the plug stem into the affected hole, solution or the adhesive is used to fix the plug and a sharp blade is required to trim the extra repair compound present near the punctured surface.

Plug method is considered to be accurate and effective that gives a permanent, strong and airtight tyre repairing.

Patch Method

In this repair method, patches are used to fix the puncture. For this only file, readymade patches, and adhesive is used. File is mainly used to roughen the surface area near the punctured portion of the tyre and then readymade patches are placed inside the tyre with the use of an adhesive.

Filler Method

Filler method is one of the most widely accepted methods for puncturing a tubeless tyre. Most of the car mechanics and service providers use this method because it is believed to be one of the most effective methods that give the strongest repair.

In this type of method, a mechanic needs a probe, repairing tool, needle, adhesive or vulcanizing fluid, T-shaped handle tool, rubber plug, and Allen Key. Probe is used to displace the steel cords for easy application of repair strips. Repairing tool is used to place the repair compound in perfect position. Needle is used to locate the torn out area and the T-shaped handle tool for application of repair strips to the car tyres. Adhesive is required for fixing and securing the strips and the rubber plug for insertion. Allen Key is mainly used to drive bolts and screw to fit the tyre repair strips better off the affected tyre portion.

The key advantage of this type of repair method is that the tyre is not required to be removed from the rim.

Bridgestone recommends only Plug (Mushroom type) and Filler methods for Tubeless damage repair. Bridgestone strictly prohibits Patch method of repairing as it is very unsafe and improper method.

Need to see some pics please visit the link given below.

http://www.bridgestone.co.in/tyre/tyreknowledge/tubeless/repair.asp
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 11th July 2009, 4:33 pm

That was very informative interceptor
    btw, how much they charge for repairing the same? Here they charge Rs.100
    Interceptor
    Interceptor

Post  Interceptor 11th July 2009, 4:44 pm

Crazy cat, I did not get the chance to check the prices for tubeless tyre repair as i still run on MRF ZVTS (Tubed ones) Laughing . The tyres are nearing end of life and i was trying to collect information from the net to finalise on the shoes for my ride, thats when i got this information . I am yet to upgrade my tyres and planning to upgrade the tyres by August (Hopefully Rolling Eyes )
    Aviral Tyagi
    Aviral Tyagi

Post  Aviral Tyagi 12th July 2009, 12:12 pm

The plug method only costs 50-60 rs only!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 6th May 2024, 9:30 pm