The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Car Theft Stories

anjan
    anjan

Car Theft Stories Empty Car Theft Stories

Post  anjan 2nd December 2008, 10:44 pm

A car theft is a great setback for anyone attached to his machine. Despite all the advancements thefts have not stopped. The thieves are one or more steps ahead vis-a-vis any safety device invented. a few anecdotes here-
    A victim's confession," A professional ring that chops cars for spare parts in Palo Alto city in South Bay (U.S.) steals Nissans, Hondas and Acuras. What I lost? I did'nt get a chance to say goodbye. the vehicle I loved for the last so many years, not a family member, friend or pet! Insurance cos' believe that the whole car is worth less than its sum of parts. A corporation cannot be reasoned with. A policy is a policy and policies do not cater to the whims and wants of humans- denial, bargaining, anger, despair, depression, acceptance- such a great loss to bear up with. Alas it was my favourite car!"
    Now in a lighter vein Lo Jack, an auto theft protection device made in the US employs satellite homing devices that direct police to the stolen vehicles. their promotional says " don't miss the one about the 80 year old ballroom dancing queen in Miami who has had her Honda Accord stolen and recovered 9 times - make it 10 times- at the time of going to the press it was again stolen and recovered.
    Every 25 seconds a car is stolen in the US, according to their National Insurance Crime Bureau. 1,237,114 motor vehicles were stolen in 2004. The Honda Civic is the most preferred car by thieves. Out of the top 10 thief- preferred car makes, 6 are Japanese. Popularity and longevity top the list of stolen cars.

Another news source YahooNews march 20. 2008 LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles man is getting his stolen Mustang back — 38 years after it was stolen. The vehicle has an extra 300,000 miles and a different paint job, but Eugene Brakke's 1965 Mustang is evidently running just fine.

Brakke reported the car stolen to Burbank police in May 1970.

One month later, a Long Beach teenager named Judy Smongesky received the car as a high school graduation gift from her father, who had bought it at a Bellflower used car dealer.

Smongesky, who now lives in San Diego, said Thursday she had been driving and maintaining the car for nearly four decades, and only learned that it had been stolen when she recently prepared to sell it. San Diego police verified the car was hot.

"It's his car, even though he had it for four years and I had it for 38," Smongesky said. "He seems like a real nice gentleman, though."

Brakke found out Smongesky had twice rebuilt the engine and painted the Mustang from its old gold color to silver-blue.

"He wasn't too happy with that," Smongesky said.

The pair planned to meet up to transfer the car soon.

"It was hard but it was the right thing to do," Smongesky said. "I haven't really cried yet, but when he drives it away, I think I'll fall apart."

At home here in India very recently, two men who used to wash cars stole a Mahindra Scorpio CH 03 W 6746 in Sec 27, Chandigarh, using fabricated duplicate keys and were caught while selling the car!
    We often read about someone going to a bank with his chauffeur in a car, withdrawing money from a bank(a few to maybe 15 or 20 lakhs) for payment somewhere. Some guys follow them and the sahab leaves his briefcase with cash in the car.The chauffeur takes a walk to the nearest tea stall. The thieves break the car's glass get access to the briefcase and disappear. In some cases, with the chauffeur keeping a watch, these guys distract the chauffeur by some monkey act. The briefcase is gone. The thieves evidently get much more cash as compared to the resale value of the car and vanish. So rather than stealing the car they get liquid cash valued at much more than the car.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Car Theft Stories Empty Re: Car Theft Stories

Post  Crazy cat 2nd December 2008, 10:51 pm

Yes I completely agree with you. Whatever the security system we install, thieves have knowledge to hack them. But I don't think in India, they de-activate security systems.
    And also if your car is stolen, you can't get insurance claim just like that. It'll take some 6 months to get a certificate that states the "car cannot be found". However if you bribe them, it may get over by 1 or 2months.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 14th December 2008, 3:19 pm

Thats right!
    Very well written anjan. :)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19th May 2024, 4:00 pm