The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Vibhor
abhi_qpotsiavs
Crazy cat
dcargod
8 posters

Driving Norms

dcargod
    dcargod

Driving Norms Empty Driving Norms

Post  dcargod 10th April 2009, 5:13 pm

Hey folks most of us have cars and most of us drive ourselves. The number of drivers is increasing day by day. But in a country like India, which needs more development to come at par with other nations, nothing much is being done to spread measures about driving rules and safe driving techniques. All of us should take an initiative to teach and encourage proper driving skills for the ultimate benefit of every road user.

Here are some major things that must be taught:-
    1. Proper use of mirrors- it isn't for display that car manufacturers provide three mirrors in the car. It is for the purpose of being used to good effect in order to get a clear of traffic from all directions behind you. But unfortunately, the door mirrors remain closed, and when asked, the drivers say that they donot need mirrors, with a certain ignorance in their tone.

2. Use of indicators- indicators are a must while changing direction, no matter how minor or how major the directional change is. But people rarely use blinkers while taking a sharp turn, and using them to change lanes is almost non-existent, posing a problem for others to judge your move.

3. Erratic lane movements- we often see that cars change lanes very frequently and erratically to move ahead of others. We also see that cars move slowly on the fast lane, i.e. the lane on the right side. These cars donot give side to other faster moving vehicles and encourage lane changing in the wrong manner even more. Drivers also donot bother to check for approaching vehicles before changing lanes, forcing the motorist behind to brake hard.

4. Lack of patience- most of us lack patience while moving on the road. All of us want to be the first one out of the signal and honk furiously. Most donot bother to leave earlier than usual to get to work and drive extremely rash to get to work. This makes the road risky for everyone. Driving impatiently also increases blood pressure, which, we all know, isn't a healthy thing.

5. Use of full beam while driving at night- It is very stressful to drive at night because of bad roads and poor traffic management. Another cause of irritation is the fact that most oncoming vehicles drive with their full beam on at night. This results to a lot of glare for the oncoming traffic, making that person nearly bling and helpless. collisions and other mishaps are common because of this malpractice. Facing such repeated glare is also injurious to the eyes.

We see that most driving schools donot teach these things. They only teach you how to move the car ahead and backwards. If, in the initial level, the above rules are followed, then driving will become much more relaxed.

I want to know all of your views and I hope that we have an extensive discussion on this topic and also take the initiative to educate others to make our roads much more safer..

Cheers.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Driving Norms Empty Re: Driving Norms

Post  Crazy cat 10th April 2009, 5:21 pm

THREAD MOVED
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 10th April 2009, 5:25 pm

Very nice thread dcargod. From the points you have mentioned, driving with high beam is the worst thing.

And also one more thing is to maintain a good distance with vehicle up front to have a safe drive. This also minimises unnecessary braking.

The less the driver makes sideways action(inclusive of lane cutting), the more safe the road is. Car drivers make more sideways action than bigger vehicles. This increases chance of accidents.
    abhi_qpotsiavs
    abhi_qpotsiavs

Post  abhi_qpotsiavs 11th April 2009, 12:45 pm

Lane decipline too is quyite a serious issue. On Mum-Pune Expressway, it irritates when a bus/ or truck cruize at 70kmph on the rightmost lane. Same with some carowners who too proudly occupy rightmost lane. Flash lights, no action, Honk, no action. Finally, You have to overtake from left.
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 11th April 2009, 3:07 pm

Hey CC you are right about maintaining a safe distance from the car ahead of you. But the problem is that our roads are too small in space in proportion to the number of cars on them. So, though it is a very necessary practice, it cannot be implemented unless the government improves our roads and provides more space for the cars to move.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 11th April 2009, 3:32 pm

I'm not saying to keep a big distance. It should be well enough to avoid small small braking, say when someone comes into your lane, or some small obstacles can be avoided with just lifting of your foot from accelerator and no need of usage of brakes. It also prevents rear ending a car ahead, in case of emergency braking.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 11th April 2009, 9:38 pm

Why not use the "1000 count" rule to keep adequate distance between the cars??
    Its works like this - Take any object on road, a street light for eg. and start counting 1000,1001,1002...and so on till the car in your front crosses it and if we cross that object (after the car in front has crossed) by "1003" that means we are maintaining proper distance.Hope you are getting what am trying to say. :)
    dcargod
    dcargod

Post  dcargod 12th April 2009, 1:19 pm

yup vibhor thats a nice idea.. The only problem is that the motorist behind me will not wait for me and will try every trick in and out of the book to get past me..
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 12th April 2009, 5:39 pm

It all depends on the way one drive. When we drive steadily without losing momentum, no one can cut you. It is only the drivers who drive hastily, rashly, etc.. The one who makes sudden movements(be it burst of acceleration or braking or sideways too), is more likely to stop the car and give way, no matter whatever the efforts he takes to stay ahead.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th May 2009, 10:04 am

abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:Lane decipline too is quyite a serious issue. On Mum-Pune Expressway, it irritates when a bus/ or truck cruize at 70kmph on the rightmost lane. Same with some carowners who too proudly occupy rightmost lane. Flash lights, no action, Honk, no action. Finally, You have to overtake from left.
    In my recent trip to Tirunelveli in South Tamilnadu, 4 lanes are under construction and nearing the final stage with some over-bridges to be completed. Last time when i went i could see the same scene like you said, with all heavy vehicles on right lane and some on the left. Sometimes they will be parallel without letting a way. But this time, a lot has changed. All the trucks, buses, tempos, autos were surprisingly on the left lane only. Even after overtaking, they move to the left lane soon. But the motorists were coming in the wrong direction and in the fast lane. Some times even tractors. Wish people gain some knowledge on this.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 8th July 2009, 8:44 pm

speaking about driving norms, mumbai police have come up with a new way to impart some sense to the mumbai drivers! an LED display on top of their vehicles which toggles between 20-25 messages, this is one of them.

Driving Norms 156149d1247065939t-highway-driving-etiquette-rules-06072009898
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th July 2009, 11:50 pm

What if we bump the vehicle front of you, while reading this? It'll distract the drivers.
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 9th July 2009, 7:58 pm

yes, you are right Cc. it is indeed distracting.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 9th July 2009, 9:57 pm

similar thing happened to me during my visit to my native, 4lanes was under construction till half the dstance, then on the 4lanes trucks were going in different lanes, none of the truck guys were following lanes, nor the cars , everyone was driving in their own ways, specially the bikers , they always come in opposite direction and i dont know why Frustration
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 10th July 2009, 9:15 am

Yeah bikers in opposite directions is the height of stupidity. Only some serious accidents will teach them about the risk involved in it.
    napster
    napster

Post  napster 10th July 2009, 7:50 pm

and those serious accidents can even cost them their life
    Interceptor
    Interceptor

Post  Interceptor 11th July 2009, 12:56 am

[quote="Crazy cat"]
    abhi_qpotsiavs wrote:quote]
    In my recent trip to Tirunelveli in South Tamilnadu, 4 lanes are under construction and nearing the final stage with some over-bridges to be completed. Last time when i went i could see the same scene like you said, with all heavy vehicles on right lane and some on the left. Sometimes they will be parallel without letting a way. But this time, a lot has changed. All the trucks, buses, tempos, autos were surprisingly on the left lane only. Even after overtaking, they move to the left lane soon. But the motorists were coming in the wrong direction and in the fast lane. Some times even tractors. Wish people gain some knowledge on this.
    Crazy cat i am with you on this agree ... i even had a situation when i was on a headon collison course with a tanker lorry and miraculous escaped with some braking tricks
    car-o-static
    car-o-static

Post  car-o-static 12th July 2009, 9:57 am

You see the bikes are small vehicles and most people driving them are 18-30 with screaming hormones, so they think they can squeeze into any place, just like rats, trucks on the other hand think they own the road cause of their size, so problem isn't just the roads but also the psychology. Most truckers are uneducated so they really dont have the necessary understandings of the value of human life, which an educated bloke might have, but then again, there is a problem with the law enforcement, since its easy to bribe them and get away with just a slap on the wrist, people think they can do whatever they want, and in the present age most people including me are impatient, so really can't help it. No matter how wide the road or how good the safety features of the car, or whatever the govt norm, or how strict the local authority, people will continue to be brash just to get to point B from A, in the quickest time possible. Enjoy Drive
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 12th July 2009, 11:25 am

napster wrote:and those serious accidents can even cost them their life
    Only after those serious accidents, they will come to know about risk involved. They go on wrong side just to save some kilometers, thinking that vehicles on opposite side will give way to them. But everyday can't be same for them. What if a speeding vehicle is overtaking a slow vehicle on a curve. Even if they see the bike, they can't slowdown. Because they come in an unusual direction and no one would be expecting a vehicle in opposite direction on a 4 lane road.

car-o-static wrote:You see the bikes are small vehicles and most people driving them are 18-30 with screaming hormones, so they think they can squeeze into any place, just like rats, trucks on the other hand think they own the road cause of their size, so problem isn't just the roads but also the psychology. Most truckers are uneducated so they really dont have the necessary understandings of the value of human life, which an educated bloke might have, but then again, there is a problem with the law enforcement, since its easy to bribe them and get away with just a slap on the wrist, people think they can do whatever they want, and in the present age most people including me are impatient, so really can't help it. No matter how wide the road or how good the safety features of the car, or whatever the govt norm, or how strict the local authority, people will continue to be brash just to get to point B from A, in the quickest time possible. Enjoy Drive
    Most of the bikers, especially in rural areas are dumb minded. They don't know about any road manners. Many would just try to squeeze till the end. They can't judge a vehicle's speed, they will just try to squeeze and by the time when they realise it'll be too late and bigger vehicles will have to brake hard or hit them. My everyday's commute involves these morons too. They do the wrong things and will show hands at us.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 8:01 am