The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
zinam
anjan
6 posters

Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You?

anjan
    anjan

Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You? Empty Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You?

Post  anjan 5th January 2009, 11:16 pm

Our truckers are on strike since today.
    To me, there are good and bad sides related to this news story.The good
    side is that once you are out on a highway with your car you are the
    king- there are no seven and a half tonners christened "Kings of the
    Road" with six or more wheels, a sane or an insane driver behind the
    wheels and loads of upto 12 tonnes on its back.Belching black smoke
    from its exhaust is passe. Driving is a real pleasure on National
    Highways, which look really odd and deserted without these beastly
    trucks.
    If you drive a diesel car/SUV/MUV you are among the few at highway
    petrol/diesel pumps, but there may be some jeeps or tractors to give
    you company.
    The flip side is that perishable food does not move out of cities ,
    towns and villages where the poor farmer loses out. In return we get
    all the export quality farm produce that are normally sent straight out
    of the farm to some metro or foreign land without being seen by the
    people staying in nearby towns and cities.
    But overall, I love the highways during such times.

Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You? Empty Re: Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You?

Post  zinam 6th January 2009, 7:52 am

I agree to anjan !! my view point is also the same :)

I can say there is no traffic or less traffic is the most busiest road in chennai.

And another good point is, Fuel rates will surely come down because of this strike :)
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You? Empty Re: Truckers Strike - What Does it Mean to You?

Post  Crazy cat 6th January 2009, 9:08 am

The main benefit of our trucker friends not going out is, the fuel price will come down :D . But yeah we can have a traffic free highway. No need to worry about un-illuminated trucks at night. :)
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 6th January 2009, 11:30 am

this is the common reason for all of us to enjoy our hassle free driving from heavy loaded vehicles around city and highways and also not to mention, the fuel prices which might come down after this strike. A trransport owner stays in my appartment, told me that nothing before thursday and around 5/- cut in diesel prices, so lets wait and watch what the effect. but this also raises prices of vegetables and fruits across nation.LPG cylinders transporting vehicles too join the strike from today.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 6th January 2009, 7:47 pm

True vijay apart from the plus points cited by me and my friends the prices of essentials will skyrocket. There are already reports of "No Petrol or No Diesel" signs appearing in various parts of our country.

Last edited by anjan on 7th January 2009, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 6th January 2009, 8:11 pm

Though it increases price of some commodities, it is only for a short period. While the benefit derived from this strike is to be enjoyed for a longer period.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 7th January 2009, 7:54 pm

Usually both sides are very adamant till about one week. This has been
    happening year after year. Thereafter the government people call the
    truck union leaders for talks bargain with their demands and accept one
    or one and a half to settle down and resume normal operations. They may
    now reduce the diesel prices by about Rs 3 a litre and that may end the
    strike.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 7th January 2009, 8:05 pm

This is all just a game. The present govt. in recent time has not done anything good. With election around the corner, they will definitely reduce fuel prices to get votes.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 7th January 2009, 9:29 pm

Its absolutely right as CC said.

These are usual games played by the government.

We can expect anything around 5rs in diesel & 3rs in petrol. :)

This is the only way they can hold on their seats.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 8th January 2009, 10:15 am

good thing fuel prices will decline!!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th January 2009, 11:25 am

Yesterday(today's newspaper) Mr. Murali theora has informed that in two weeks time, fuel prices will be slashed. Why two weeks? We have to wait and see how truckers respond to this.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 8th January 2009, 8:18 pm

and plus i think they wont slash it very drastically though(personal opinion)
    but
    "Impossible is Nothing"-Adidas
    raj_5004
    raj_5004

Post  raj_5004 8th January 2009, 9:13 pm

shortage of diesel in mumbai city due to this strike!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 8th January 2009, 9:17 pm

Shortage of fuel all over Tamilnadu. The main sufferer being Chennai people. People are standing in queue with bottles to get fuel. Some vehicles are dried up and are stranded on the streets.
    Now the milk and medicine trucks will not ply, which will again cause more troubles to people. We should blame it on the government for this. :>0:
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 9th January 2009, 11:51 am

the news is that oil companies staff are on strike on their wages increment, so no new supply of fuels across nation, that results to shortage at petrol pumps, but HP confirmed today that they are not part of the strike and their pumps will be on and deliveries are full with supply.This resulted in chaos across nation with long ques at fuel stations.
    anjan
    anjan

Post  anjan 9th January 2009, 8:23 pm

:offtopic: Yes but for Hindustan Petroleum officials (till 8/1/09) all oil PSU officials(including ONGC) are on strike. The fuel and gas supplies have been badly hit and has impacted automobile users, airlines and even railways will very soon feel the pinch.
    Late News : at 6.00pm the Petroleum Ministry in a press conference threatened to invoke ESMA , the Essential Services Maintenance Act and get oil officials arrested for paralysing the nation. The oil officers have ever since joined duties. The petrol pumps will resume normal operations in aday or two.
    The earlier strikes by oil PSU officers were for three hours and twelve hours on two occasions in the recent past. Its impact could not be felt. But now this strike lasted 60 hours and paralysed the entire nation.
    Dead Back to the thread: the truckers strike continues into its fifth day.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 9th January 2009, 10:42 pm

Despit being various warnings, the truckers are continuing the strike. They have given the permit of 700 trucks to the goverment for some threatening purpose.
    zinam
    zinam

Post  zinam 10th January 2009, 9:33 am

Ya, its even worser in chennai.

There are been queues standing outside bunks for petrol & diesel, which is about a km long.

I couldn't get any pics yesterday. If i could take some i will post it here.

And this strike is like diwali for Private Oil firms.

Shell bunk in chennai has raised the rate of petrol by Rs.5 due to this strike.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19th May 2024, 10:23 am