The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

3G Now In India!!!

Vibhor
    Vibhor

3G Now In India!!! Empty 3G Now In India!!!

Post  Vibhor 12th December 2008, 11:39 am

:) Hi guys!!Live TV, high-speed data download and video streaming on mobile phone on Thursday became a reality in India, with state-owned MTNL launching the next generation 3G technology-based telecom services in New Delhi.

The service was inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by receiving a video call from Telecom Minister A Raja, who was also present at the function.

Expressing concern over slow pace of broadband growth, Singh said: "I believe that 3G and Broadband Wireless Access will give a fillip to mobile broadband penetration.

"So far, India's success in extending broadband has not been satisfactory. These services were launched in January 2005 and till now we have managed a very modest penetration. I expect that 3G will become the predominant platform on which we will be able to build and deliver upon India's broadband objectives."

He also said that 3G and wireless broadband would bridge the much needed digital divide between the rural and urban India.

For urban India, 3G and wireless broadband will offer convenience of mobility with the rich multimedia content of the Internet. "But it is in rural India that I hope to see them making an invaluable contribution," he added.

MTNL, a service provider in Delhi and Mumbai, would extend the 3G services in Mumbai by the end of next month.

Asked about the tariffs, MTNL chairman and managing director R S P Sinha said that "we are still working on it. But I can assure you that the tariffs would be affordable."

Sinha said that 3G services for MTNL subscribers would be free of cost for the first one month and the services would be launched commercially by January next year.

"We will offer our premium customers to take the 3G connection over their existing connections. We want them to get a feel of the service before we ask them to pay for it. Once our network is complete we will make it available for everyone," he added.

Raja said that spectrum allocation through the auction process would be completed by January 2009 and hoped that services would be available from all private players by the middle of next year.

The government is expected to allocate 3G spectrum to at least five private players subject to availability of frequency in each circle. :D

3G Now In India!!! 11pm1
    Image: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurating MTNL's 3G services on Thursday in New Delhi. Minister for Communications & IT A Raja was also present. The country's first video call was enabled by Motorola's 3G network and Motorola's MOTORAZR2 V9 Ferrari mobile phone.

(source:Rediff news)
    zinam
    zinam

3G Now In India!!! Empty Re: 3G Now In India!!!

Post  zinam 12th December 2008, 7:21 pm

Thanks for the Info Buddy!!

Any info regarding the data charge & Tarrifs launched ??

How many carriers are yet to launch.. Hopefully Airtel & Vodafone are still discussing on the Spectrum Bandwidth ...

I am really awaiting for that... :bounce:
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 13th December 2008, 12:47 pm

I've been waiting for this feature for a long time. It should've come before a year itself. I'm waiting for this to come to my city. Thanks for the info. :)
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 14th December 2008, 3:46 pm

Even i was too waiting for this.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 14th December 2008, 3:57 pm

so now iPhone 3G will be very useful!!!
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 14th December 2008, 3:59 pm

Yes, no doubt. it will be.
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 15th December 2008, 2:19 pm

so price can be forgiven and i think now there will be a boom in mobile phones sales!!
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 15th December 2008, 8:02 pm

We have 3G phones for 12K(may be even less than that).
    iphone is priced very highly. Old N73 at 12k will eat it for Camera quality. iphone doesnt even have video camera facility, Bluetooth datatransfer, and no zoom for Camera. For the price it retails in India, only extreme music lovers will go for it.
    For the features it offers, it should be priced less than 20k. :)
    archit
    archit

Post  archit 16th December 2008, 6:54 pm

hey CC
    music only on headphones!!
    i own one (2G) and the speakers s*** like crap!!
    yea u have stated some irratating points of iPhone but nonetheless i love it!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 7th May 2024, 1:51 am