The Automotive India

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020

Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020 Empty Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020

Post  Road Rocket 10th July 2009, 5:56 pm

Japanese automakers may be turning to electric vehicles in the quest for zero emission but it is unlikely that such cars will hit the roads in the next ten years. Battery-powered electric vehicles are considered an eco-friendly option by Japanese motorists because they do not emit greenhouse gases while driving, but are unlikely to go mainstream until late 2020.
    Reports also claim that the cars cannot be driven as long as gasoline-powered vehicles do, a disadvantage that could limit the use of electric vehicles to short trips. While Mitsubishi Motors Corp and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd will start delivering their electric cars - i-MiEV and Plug-in Stella respectively next month, Nissan Motor Co plans to launch its own model next year.
    The i-MiEV can travel 160 kilometers on a single charge, only a third of what a gasoline vehicle can run per pump. In addition, lack of battery-charging stations makes it inconvenient to use electric vehicles. Mitsubishi president Osamu Masuko said his company will cooperate with supermarkets and convenience stores to increase the number of battery chargers.
    Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020 Mitsub10
    Source:Motorbeam

RoadRocket
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020 Empty Re: Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020

Post  Crazy cat 11th July 2009, 9:38 am

I'm waiting for the day we can see charging stations are common like Petrol stations and we can charge the car in minutes. When this happens, EVs will have its day.

If it is unlikely in Japan by 2020, then i don't know when we will get them.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020 Empty Re: Electric cars unlikely in Japan by 2020

Post  Road Rocket 13th July 2009, 3:03 pm

True.
    We cannot expect these EVs in large volumes in India anytime soon.
    Don't know how much performance etc will they have but one thing is for sure that these EVs pictured above looks cute. Smile

RoadRocket
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 14th July 2009, 8:10 am

I think the top one is Mitsubishi, which Zal compared with Nano for looks long back.
    Vibhor
    Vibhor

Post  Vibhor 14th July 2009, 9:45 am

ail
    ail

Post  ail 16th July 2009, 6:22 pm

Its a real good idea to release those cars in our country at the earliest.. Its so bloody polluted here with increasing public, clearly seen in a city like bombay.. Most people here too prefer small fuel efficient cars, not much worried on looks and performance but parking space and "easy to get away through traffic", especially in cities..
    Rather than building seperate charging stations, provision to charge at home and a rechargable battery which charges with the car running is the solution..
    Well these are my guesses and ideas, the Japs surely would have all this in mind and on work sheet too!!!
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 17th July 2009, 1:30 pm

ail wrote:Its a real good idea to release those cars in our country at the earliest.. Its so bloody polluted here with increasing public, clearly seen in a city like bombay.. Most people here too prefer small fuel efficient cars, not much worried on looks and performance but parking space and "easy to get away through traffic", especially in cities..
    Rather than building seperate charging stations, provision to charge at home and a rechargable battery which charges with the car running is the solution..
    Well these are my guesses and ideas, the Japs surely would have all this in mind and on work sheet too!!!

well its not easy as the technology is expensive and cars would be too, thats the reason mahindra tata and maruti are working together on hybrid technology to make future tech, affordable.
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 18th July 2009, 10:39 am

I think we can count on Mahindra, Tata and MSIL, they would make commendable improvement here.
    Road Rocket
    Road Rocket

Post  Road Rocket 20th July 2009, 1:21 pm

As M&M has already developed the Hybrid and Electric version of Scorpio, I think we shall expect them by 2010.

RoadRocket
    thackervijay
    thackervijay

Post  thackervijay 20th July 2009, 2:45 pm

Road Rocket wrote:As M&M has already developed the Hybrid and Electric version of Scorpio, I think we shall expect them by 2010.

RoadRocket
    yes RR but all these companies are working together to get this technology at a affordable price for consumers,
    Crazy cat
    Crazy cat

Post  Crazy cat 20th July 2009, 8:16 pm

Electric version of Scorpio is not possible by 2010. But by that time, next-gen Scorp would be the talk i guess.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21st September 2024, 3:53 am